author remove search highlighting

posted: 21 May 2020 19:43

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi Martin

I've just spotted what would seem to be a bug!  In my ongoing outside slip saga, I've added a prefix tag to each template of 'Slip', which shows on the trackpad as [Slip]-CR037 or whatever.  When I use the group all templates with matching tag(s) functions it also picks up a couple of other templates where the name happens to start with the word Slip, but it isn't a tag - no square brackets.  That wasn't the behaviour I was expecting - I just wanted those tagged templates to be grouped.  The screenshot shows what I mean.  I could rename the two inadvertently grouped templates but I'd be worried generally about accidentally grouping a template off-screen and moving it around with the group.

You'll probably tell me it's meant to do that!

Cheers,
Paul
105_211440_520000000.png105_211440_520000000.png

posted: 21 May 2020 22:47

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Paul,

It's definitely not meant to do that!

I haven't been able to reproduce it, and the code is definitely looking for square brackets in the template names, to create a group.

Is it possible that those two templates were already selected in a group, and in creating the tagged group you chose the option to add it to the existing group?

If not, perhaps you could post the .box file?

Is this on a native Windows system? I'm just wondering if the character encoding on other systems treats square brackets differently? :?

edit: I have now found the bug, thanks for reporting it. :)

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 22 May 2020 00:59

Martin Wynne

p.s. Paul,

I think I have found something. If you use this method to create the group of tagged templates, by clicking on one of them:

2_211946_080000000.png2_211946_080000000.png

then if there are any templates already in a group, they will remain so and the tagged templates will be added to that group. Did you have those templates grouped before creating the tagged group, and did you use this method to create it?

On the other hand, if you use this method to create the group of tagged templates:

2_211951_240000000.png2_211951_240000000.png

then if there are any templates already in a group, you will be asked whether to add the tagged templates to that group, or whether to create a new group without them.

I can't remember why I made the first method work that way, but it's clearly an intended function in the code, not just an oversight. I will see if I can remember the reason, but if not I will change it so that both methods are the same.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 22 May 2020 06:52

Martin Wynne

p.p.s. Paul,

I have now remembered why the first method is different. A template can have multiple tags, and in adding the group for each tag you would not want multiple messages asking about adding templates to an existing group.

So that is an issue in not deselecting any existing group before starting. I have now fixed that for the next program update.

I still don't know if that explains your problem,

edit: I have now found the bug, many thanks for reporting it. :)

Fixed in next program update.

It does raise the question of what should happen where a template contains multiple tags. Do you group all the templates containing any of the tags, or only those matching all the tags? At present it is the former. I have added extra menu items to cover the latter option:

2_220305_300000000.png2_220305_300000000.png

cheers,

Martin.

posted: posted: 22 May 2020 09:30

Paul Boyd

Good morning Martin!
Don't you sleep?  This must have been weighing on your mind!

Firstly, this is on a native Windows system, Win10 x64.  Secondly, I've just replicated it on another totally unrelated layout, for which the box file is attached.  The process I used was:-

Open the box file. Individually group three templates. From the group menu, add prefix tag to names, in this case I typed ref. The templates then had a [ref] prefix.  I then hit Ctrl-Y to ungroup everything.  I renamed another template to ref.  Nothing is grouped at this stage.  Click one of the tagged templates and from the menu that pops up selecting N then T groups the tagged templates but also the one that has the name ref.  It doesn't matter if the single template is named before or after I add the tags to the other three.

I would expect that method to add the tagged templates to any already grouped templates, and in fact I use that quite a bit.  One layout has a 3-way stub point leading to a yard complex - the yard and 3-way each have their own tags, but if I want to move the lot I group by tag for each in turn to make one big group.  The second method in your PS I've never used!

In your PPS, yes, I do very occasionally have a template with multiple tags, and in my example above I could have had the 3-way with both [3way] and [yard] tags which would save a few mouse clicks, but I tend not to do that for some unknown reason!  It should definitely be group if it contains any of the tags, and not all!

I've attached a starting box file, this is the one on which I replicated the problem this morning.  I'll attach the same file but with tags and renaming in a second.

Cheers,
Paul
Attachment: attach_3069_3675_canalwharf_untagged.box     63
Last edited on 22 May 2020 09:35 by Paul Boyd
22 May 2020 09:30

Paul Boyd

This is after I've renamed a template and added tags to another three.
Attachment: attach_3070_3675_canal_wharf_tagged.box     70

posted: posted: 22 May 2020 09:48

Paul Boyd

Ah - it looks like you found the bug whilst I was replicating it!

22 May 2020 09:48

Martin Wynne

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for that.

But while you were posting I did actually find the bug and fix it. I edited my previous posts as quickly as I could but you probably didn't see it in time.

I've added new menu options for multiple tags, trying to cover all likely requirements, so many thanks for this topic. :)

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 22 May 2020 09:50

Paul Boyd

Whoops - we're crossing - your updates didn't show until I reloaded the screen.  I'm glad it wasn't something I'd misunderstood!
Cheers,

Paul

posted: 22 May 2020 10:10

Martin Wynne

Yes we're crossing. Sorry I didn't get my posts edited in time. I realised the bug while eating breakfast.

This dialog now appears for both methods (previously only when using the main menu):

2_220502_280000000.png2_220502_280000000.png

BTW, I have done a lot more work on make diamond-crossing at intersection, so that it is more accurate and preserves the original alignment and boundaries from the background template. That has made it quite a bit slower, but it means you can now create a diamond-crossing across a background template which is part of a trackplan and not need to do any further work on that template (apart from the usual timber-shoving stuff).

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 22 May 2020 11:29

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:

BTW, I have done a lot more work on make diamond-crossing at intersection, so that it is more accurate and preserves the original alignment and boundaries from the background template. That has made it quite a bit slower, but it means you can now create a diamond-crossing across a background template which is part of a trackplan and not need to do any further work on that template (apart from the usual timber-shoving stuff).

Martin,

Is an update available?

Jim.

posted: 22 May 2020 11:45

Martin Wynne

Jim Guthrie wrote:
Is an update available?
Hi Jim,

Sorry, not yet. 226c should be along in a day or two, but there are still some loose ends to finish. I also need to write some notes about it and maybe make a video.

I still haven't found what made your original diamond-crossing such a problem. Even now, it is creating an unusual mix of crossing angles. But it does at least work.

Ideally, I should spend hours and hours testing every conceivable size and location of diamond-crossing, but I just don't have time for that. It's working in several test cases, that will have to be enough.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 22 May 2020 12:11

Paul Boyd

Hi Martin
Thanks for fixing this - looking forward to the next release!

This dialog now appears for both methods (previously only when using the main menu):

2_220502_280000000.png2_220502_280000000.png

My own preference for that dialogue box would be for the default action to be add to existing group but as the dialogue box is already established I guess it shouldn't change now.  I've never actually used the option of grouping by tag from the main menu - I need to have a refresh of what's in all those menus!

I think that these days "slower" is a relative term, if diamonds will be more accurate, then slightly slower is fine.  Mind you, last night I was printing off a background with picture shapes and that took for ever - fortunately not something I do often and even then only to confirm the basic shape before ploughing ahead!

Cheers,
Paul

Templot Club > Forums > I found a flaw > Grouping by tag picking up other templates
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020