Posted: 15 Mar 2008 19:58
 PM  Reply with quote  Reply blank 
1st Message
Richard_Benn

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides spacer.gifspacer.gif
Hi,

I am new to Templot. I have worked through many of the videos and Ithink I've worked out the basics.

Two things are still puzzling me:

1. Is it possible to specify the default load/save directory?

2. Is it possible to permanetly dismiss the warning messages that appear? The ones about small fonts and multiple displays at startup are especially annoying?

I couldn't find anything in the help pages about these.

Many thanks.

posted: 15 Mar 2008 22:26

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

view images in gallery view images as slides Richard_Benn wrote:
Hi Richard,

The default folder is C:\TEMPLOT\BOX-FILES

That can't be changed as the default, but if you start loading or saving from elsewhere, Templot will remember where (separately for load and save) for the remainder of the session.

If you want to permanently save all your Templot files somewhere else, I suggest you move the entire Templot installation to the new location. Just copy the entire contents of the C:\TEMPLOT folder and move it to say E:\RAILWAY_STUFF\MODELS\TEMPLOT or wherever you want. Everything will still work -- just create a shortcut to the TemplotZero.exe program file in the new location. The default folder for the files will then be E:\RAILWAY_STUFF\MODELS\TEMPLOT\BOX-FILES

2. Is it possible to permanetly dismiss the warning messages that appear? The ones about small fonts and multiple displays at startup are especially annoying?
Sorry no. :( Just dab the ENTER key a few times through the start-up sequence. Each dab on the key takes only a fraction of a second. :)

regards,

Martin.
posted: 15 Mar 2008 23:59

Nigel Brown

view images in gallery view images as slides Martin Wynne wrote:

Richard_Benn wrote:
Hi Richard,

The default folder is C:TEMPLOT/BOX-FILES

That can't be changed as the default, but if you start loading or saving from elsewhere, Templot will remember where (separately for load and save) for the remainder of the session.
One thing I've found which helps with organising box files is to put them in sub-directories of the default directory, one sub-directory for each project, rather than in the default directory itself. Also, the examples provided with Templot I've cleared out of the default directory and shoved in a directory called Examples. This keeps box-files associated with unrelated projects separate, while still leaving them reasonably quick to access.

Nigel

posted: 16 Mar 2008 07:42

John Lewis

Croydon - United Kingdom

The default folder is C:TEMPLOTBOX-FILES

Could you make it remember until directed elsewhere in a future release, please? I keep program files on 'C' and data on 'F'  (D and E are the CD/DVD drives).

John
posted: 16 Mar 2008 08:09

Martin Wynne

view images in gallery view images as slides John Lewis wrote
Could you make it remember until directed elsewhere in a future release, please? I keep program files on 'C' and data on 'F'  (D and E are the CD/DVD drives).

Hi John,

Since Templot data files are meaningless to any other program, I can't see any logic in not keeping them with the Templot program, all in one place. That has the advantage that the stored paths are relative instead of absolute and the entire Templot installation is then portable, should you need to move it.

If you want to have your Templot data files on drive F, the obvious answer is to put the Templot program on F with them, as I explained to Richard. The program files are typically much smaller than the accumulated data files, so having them all in one place doesn't add much to the backup overhead, if that is the concern. Most backup programs have filters and exclusions for file types anyway.

Keeping data and tools in the same place is what you do in the rest of your life -- cake recipes in the kitchen drawer, bank statements in your desk -- so I don't understand why you wouldn't want to adopt the same approach for your track template files?

Having everything related to Templot in a folder called Templot seems so sensible to me that I really wouldn't want to change the defaults. If it doesn't seem sensible to you, you need to navigate elsewhere only once per session. Templot will remember the location for the remainder of the session.

Some computer files are shared by different programs -- text files and pictures -- and in that case it makes more sense to keep them all in one place. But that doesn't apply to Templot. Templot's files are unique to Templot.

regards,

Martin.
 Posted: 16 Mar 2008 21:23
 PM  Reply with quote  Reply blank 
6th Message
Richard_Benn

view images in gallery view images as slides spacer.gifspacer.gif
Martin Wynne wrote:
Keeping data and tools in the same place is what you do in the rest of your life -- cake recipes in the kitchen drawer, bank statements in your desk -- so I don't understand why you wouldn't want to adopt the same approach for your track template files?

Having everything related to Templot in a folder called Templot seems so sensible to me that I really wouldn't want to change the defaults.

Like John I keep my user generated data files on a separate partition.  I wasn't suggesting that you should change the defaults, just give us the option to do so if we choose.

I don't see how your recipe analogy works - the way Templot works is more like keeping cake recipes in the food processor.

Don't take this the wrong way but were you in a really bad mood the day you designed the user interface? I really don't see why I have to be bombarded with messages the content of which I am well aware. Such an approach is generally agreed to be conter-productive as the user will get in the habit of quickly dismissing all windows without reading them.

It is a shame that the user interface is so "quirky" as the core functionality of the program is truly wonderful.

posted: 16 Mar 2008 21:48

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

view images in gallery view images as slides This seems to be one of those subjects that rears its head every now and then.  To be honest, I can't see what the fuss is about!  My entire Templot folder is in My Documents, and although that happens to be on my C drive, it could just as easily be on another drive, as My Videos is.  Unlike most Windows programs, Templot doesn't scatter itself about the hard drive and registry, so there is absolutely no reason why the single executable can't be in the same folder as the rest of the files, which can be wherever you like.  It adds just a few meg to the backup, that's all.

The startup messages are another perenial favourite.  They are pretty pointless on my setup because I just bash Enter a few times to get to the workpad.  I honestly couldn't tell you what they say without stopping to read them, although I know one is related to multiple monitors!  How about a quick straw poll - does anyone ever actually change any of the default startup options?

posted: 16 Mar 2008 22:09

Martin Wynne

view images in gallery view images as slides Richard_Benn wrote:
Like John I keep my user generated data files on a separate partition. I wasn't suggesting that you should change the defaults, just give us the option to do so if we choose.
Hi Richard,

But as I explained you already have that option. All you have to do is move the entire TEMPLOT folder to the partition where you want to keep your Templot data files. The only change needed is a to create a new shortcut to the relocated program file.

Don't take this the wrong way but were you in a really bad mood the day you designed the user interface? I really don't see why I have to be bombarded with messages the content of which I am well aware. Such an approach is generally agreed to be counter-productive as the user will get in the habit of quickly dismissing all windows without reading them.

I think bombarded is an exaggeration. You probably launch Templot only once in an evening, and many of the messages can be dismissed for the rest of the session after appearing once.

The problem is that Templot is a recreational program. It's not like business software which you use every day. You might go 3 months without using Templot, and then need it to produce some templates. After that time it's very easy to forget how things work, which settings you have changed, and which messages you have dismissed.

Please don't compare Templot with programs where productivity is important. Templot is for recreation and hobby use. There isn't a deadline to meet and no need to rush. What's a few extra clicks when most of your time in Templot is spent pondering the screen, referring to books and drawings, doodling on the back of an envelope, chewing the end of your pencil, and making another coffee? :)

regards,

Martin.
posted: 16 Mar 2008 23:49

Martin Wynne

view images in gallery view images as slides Brian Lewis wrote:
All these emails criticizing his 'bloatware' front end. Tut tut.

Hi Brian,

I just don't get it. :(  There are 101 places in Templot where I could usefully spend my time making improvements and adding new functionality. There is still a big gap in the documentation and tutorials. Lots more videos are still needed. Instead, you want me to spend time changing something which works perfectly, just to save 2 seconds and a few mouse clicks once an evening?

Well it's not going to happen -- so tut tut to you too! :)

regards,

Martin.
posted: 17 Mar 2008 01:57

Martin Wynne

view images in gallery view images as slides I wrote:

Hmm. Well maybe. :)

I think perhaps we could have a time limit. If you launch Templot within say 60 hours of quitting the previous session, the startup dialogs could be skipped and the previous options used automatically. If you leave it more than that time, the full startup sequence returns.

This minimises the irritation for those frequently launching Templot without losing the important information for infrequent users.

The downside is that less-savvy users will see different behaviour at different times and may get confused. Also, if you want to change the startup option, you would need to wait 60 hours or delete a file from the Templot folder.

I've added it to the list. :)

regards,

Martin.
posted: 17 Mar 2008 02:19

JohnM

Knaresborough - United Kingdom

view images in gallery view images as slides May I suggest we leave well alone. It only takes a few clicks to make progress and this is not unusual in 'other programs'

John M
posted: 17 Mar 2008 04:00

Nigel Brown

Brian Lewis wrote:
All these emails criticizing his 'bloatware' front end. Tut tut.

Hi Brian,

I just don't get it. :(  There are 101 places in Templot where I could usefully spend my time making improvements and adding new functionality. There is still a big gap in the documentation and tutorials. Lots more videos are still needed. Instead, you want me to spend time changing something which works perfectly, just to save 2 seconds and a few mouse clicks once an evening?

regards,

Martin.
Martin

I fully agree. This requirement is pretty trivial, the other stuff is much more important. If you were going to do something, I'd suggest replacing the ...ready, steady, click ... bit of the opening screen with a quick start and a full start option, unless there are technical reasons against.

cheers
Nigel

posted: 17 Mar 2008 04:35

NGT_Models

Lansing - Michigan USA

view images in gallery view images as slides Martin,

Well..., for a recreational program,
    you've done one hell of a wonderful job!
    I'm always learning more about it,
    and getting more and more out of it.

Once started,
    TEMPLOT usually stays up for days on my computer.
    It's either that, or go through the start up menu,
    re-load the BG images and change the colours.

As I've said before,
    the only thing that really bothers me everytime I start up,
    is changing the DEFAULT colours of everything.

Your idea of setting a 'USER' default for this is very appealing.

Zoƫ

posted: 18 Mar 2008 06:15

Peter Salathiel

Bangkok - Thailand

The problem is that Templot is a recreational program. It's not like business software which you use every day. You might go 3 months without using Templot, and then need it to produce some templates. After that time it's very easy to forget how things work, which settings you have changed, and which messages you have dismissed.
Hi Martin,

That's exactly it which is why I plead once more for a startup file or, at the minimum, a file to save all the printer options I select. I always manage to forget one or two until after pressing PRINT and then need to do the whole thing over. Not life threatening but VERY annoying.

Templot is an incredible program but without (1) the option of turning off ALL the warning messages with one click, (2) some means of saving one's startup settings (workaround - let Templot reload itself then delete all the templates) and (3) some way to save the many wonderful print options, prospective purchasers may be put off. 

Best Regards

Peter
posted: 18 Mar 2008 23:35

richard_t

Nr. Spalding, South Holland - United Kingdom

view images in gallery view images as slides with a modern PC: Hibernate, Hibernate and I say again Hibernate ...
posted: 19 Mar 2008 17:40

Martin Wynne

view images in gallery view images as slides Peter Salathiel wrote:
That's exactly it which is why I plead once more for a startup file or, at the minimum, a file to save all the printer options I select. I always manage to forget one or two until after pressing PRINT and then need to do the whole thing over. Not life threatening but VERY annoying.

Hi Peter,

I hear what you are saying but it's a different issue to the question of how many clicks or key dabs it takes to get started (which I regard as a trivial matter).

Over the years folks have asked several times for a means to save settings. What they don't realise is that it is a MASSIVE programming exercise -- several weeks of work. I have now purchased an XML component to assist me in implementing this, but it's still not going to happen any time very soon. I'm currently working on other things, although I haven't actually managed to do any coding at all for over a week because of the email support load.

If you can say one or two specific settings that you want saved between sessions I will see if I can provide a temporary means of doing so in the next Pug. But there are literally hundreds of settings in Templot and saving them all will have to wait. The default settings produce a broadly functional program, and I find when using it myself that I very rarely need to change anything. The one big issue, the grid spacing, has been addressed by now including it in the template data file.

A simple work-around if you just need to save settings overnight is to leave Templot running and not switch your computer off -- use the Sleep or Hibernate functions instead (the key for that probably has a moon symbol on it).

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Default save location & Permanently dismissing warning messages
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020