topic: 3702between track spacing
author remove search highlighting

posted: 17 Jun 2020 09:30

Igor Kurgan

Netherlands

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Morning to you all.The more and more i get acquainted with this marvelous program, the more and more respect is coming to it, what is NOT possible?
Sorry just had to write down this well deserved compliment for the designer!
Anyway, i would like to have my mainline with 4 tracks on the borders of my garden.
What spacing do i must use to get a prototypical look between the tracks? (gauge one).

I thought it was 4 inches between the two tracks, or 6 inch from center to center line?
When i do double track i will get 106mm for center to center, that will be 5 cm in between the tracks.
Is that not to small?

This is still a work in progress, inside the "squire" is the shed to park all the rolling stock, and will contain 3 way switches.Any thought, trick, hint, comment or mistakes found ect will be very appreciated.
Thanks in advance, with best regards Igor.
Attachment: attach_3094_3702_spacing_quistion.box     82
Last edited on 17 Jun 2020 09:32 by Igor Kurgan
posted: 17 Jun 2020 13:45

Phil O

Plymouth - United Kingdom

Hi Igor.

I can't give you the scale dimensions, but dependent on how your tracks are arranged the track spacings for the space between the none gauge faces are as follows.

Fast down 6 ft Fast 10 ft Slow down 6 ft Slow up.
Slow down 10 ft Fast Down 6ft Fast up 10 ft Slow down.

Add on the track gauge plus two rail head widths to get the centre distance.

Cheers Phil.

posted: 17 Jun 2020 19:01

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Igor,

Thanks for the BOX file -- that's going to be an impressive garden railway. :)

You are using P-32 gauge. That means a 1:32 scale model of UK railways. For which on straight track the WAY between the inner rails of double-track is 6ft-0in (72 inches, 1829mm), and the centre-to-centre spacing is 11ft-2in (134 inches, 3404mm or nowadays 3400mm).

If you divide 3404 by 32 you see that you get 106mm centre-to-centre as you found.

On curved track that has to be increased to leave a clearance between passing vehicles, especially long ones.

On models we often use much sharper curves (smaller radius) than the prototype (full-size railway), so it is even more important to increase the spacing on such curves.

Also on a garden model railway it is a good idea to increase the spacing for outdoor windy conditions, increased construction variations, etc.

Every template in Templot has its own settings for the spacing to adjacent tracks. When you use the make crossover or make double-track tools, you should see this dialog:

2_161904_160000000.png2_161904_160000000.png

on which you can set the spacing you require. If you are modelling a prototype (full-size railway) other than UK railways, you will probably want to change the spacing to suit, and also for sharp curves.

If you click the information button on there, there is more information about this.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 20 Jun 2020 12:55

Igor Kurgan

Netherlands

Thank you for your replays. :thumb:
Sorry for the late answer, i was pretty occupied with figuring out how to make some good frogs and building a bench designed for track making only.
Yes it will be 1:32 scale.
I think i will end up with 1200 meters of track total, i am not going to be surprised if i end up with much more.(2000 meters  :cool:)
I will not change the center to center track, it seemed a bit to small, after some googling this is the right distance for my layouts time frame, up to 1950.
My curve's in the "outer" main lines will be 2.8m up to 3.2m radius, i dont think i have to change the center to center?
For the "inner" lines this is something to take into consideration to widen the center to center.
Those curves will be from 1.8m up to 2.2m radius

As long as the AA20 (yes that Russian disaster) and the LNER's can pass each other then i am a happy man.
Speeds will be up to 20 meters a minute if i have done my calculations properly.(100 km/hour).

Sorry for doing so difficult but i would like to have a good start and not start all over again when i am in the middle.

@ Phil O, what does this mean:
Fast down 6 ft Fast 10 ft Slow down 6 ft Slow up.Slow down 10 ft Fast Down 6ft Fast up 10 ft Slow down.

I am not familiar with those terms, sorry, i hope you want to explain.
Thanks in advance.

posted: 20 Jun 2020 13:25

Phil O

Plymouth - United Kingdom

Multiple tracks in this country are paired by use or by direction. Trains leaving London are said to be down trains, trains heading to London are said to be up trains. So a fast down line is for express or limited stopping trains and an up slow line will have stopping passenger trains and goods trains. There are some variations on this,for instance on the Midland railway up, was towards Derby. On the Great Western the lines are main and relief lines. The spacing between lines is either 6 foot or 10 foot. This gap may be reduced under special circumstances, these gaps may be different on European lines and are definitely wider on highspeed lines like HS1 and the TGV lines in France.

HTH.

posted: 20 Jun 2020 13:45

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Igor Kurgan wrote:
My curve's in the "outer" main lines will be 2.8m up to 3.2m radius, i dont think i have to change the center to center?
Hi Igur,

At those radii in 1:32 scale I think it would be wise to increase the spacing. In Templot you can use the dummy vehicle function to check. That's at utils > dummy vehicle • spacing-ring menu item.

This is 2800mm radius outer, 106mm inner spacing, in P-32:

2_200836_060000000.png2_200836_060000000.png

Depending on the vehicle dimensions, you can see that running clearance will be minimal.

To check:

1. roll the dummy vehicle

2. make a copy of it.

3. make the control on the other track.

4. roll the dummy vehicle on that track past the copied one on the first track.

More information:

http://templot.com/companion/dummy_vehicle_tool.php

(that page is a little out-of-date and needs updating)

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 20 Jun 2020 14:11

Igor Kurgan

Netherlands

Phil, thank you very much for the explanation.
Somehow it rings a bell and sounds very familiar.

Martin, that feature was not yet discovered by me.
I will dive into that one.
Really, you created a heck of a program:thumb:

Thanks and cheers
Last edited on 20 Jun 2020 14:12 by Igor Kurgan
posted: 20 Jun 2020 19:30

Igor Kurgan

Netherlands

WOW, thanks :thumb: i need to redesign some curves....:(:(

106 mm inner spacing is to small.
For the 3 meter radii i must have a minimum of 125 mm inner.
I think i will settle with 135 mm, just to be on the safe side.
Glad i only made a jig/mold for the  3 meter radii curves and still not made a jig for 3.10m radii curves
Best
Last edited on 20 Jun 2020 19:36 by Igor Kurgan

Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > between track spacing
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020