click here for a list of all existing Templot documentation
  Important Privacy Information cookie information pre-print options:    

click image to open Templot Club in a new tab             Search           remove page highlighting
Templot club top logo
  looking for help ? -- -- --
looking for Templot? - (free)

enjoy using Templot? - 

you are not logged in  - Login | Join

receive all messages by email: info

Recent Topics
Front Page  Search  Image Gallery  Gallery Upload  My Account  Members  SourceForge  TemplotMEC  Help  
make a donation  
please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors Templot Companion - User Guide
            messages archive on Yahoo
page trail:  Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Templot on a Mac - the end of the road?
Templot web site

Templot on a Mac - the end of the road?

Start new topic   Reply blank   Printer friendly 
  Rate this topic  
AuthorMessage
 Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
1st message | this message only posted: 22 Jun 2020 19:08
 PM  Reply with quote  Reply blank 
Martin Wynne
West Of The Severn, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Please do not send requests for help direct to me via email or PM.

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
This looks to be bad news for CrossOver, and anyone running Templot on a Mac computer:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53142989

Hang on to the Mac you've got, or if you were thinking of getting a new one, do it soon.

Apple just don't like not to be in total control of what folks use their computers for, do they?

Meanwhile on Windows, I'm happily running some old Windows95 software on Wndows10, and Templot includes some old 16-bit controls from Windows 3.1 (on the file viewer), which still work fine on Windows10.

There's a message there, surely.

Meanwhile, does anyone want to try porting Templot3 to an Apple ARM processor? 

cheers,

Martin.

Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
2nd message | this message only posted: 23 Jun 2020 00:20
Nigel Brown

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Fairly typical Apple. I have a Macbook Pro, but only because I wanted something light and portable to take on holiday, with a good screen and keyboard, and a useful amount of power. I only use it to keep up with stuff on the web. I do have the odd app which is useful on holiday like Anquet Maps, but on a Mac it's a bit flaky and luckily I don't rely on it. I find the Apple "do it the Apple way" a real pain.

All my serious stuff is on a PC. It works, and I can set it up the way I want to. And I can build my own PC, which is a lot more fun than just handing over dosh for one and gives me far more control over what I get.

Nigel

3rd message | this message only posted: 23 Jun 2020 15:45
DerekStuart
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Without making any political comment one way or the other, I notice that Apple is now installing the C19 track and trace without any input to the user.

I don't even like Windows dictating to me when I need to update (which is usually for some nonsensical reason, rather than security.

4th message | this message only posted: 23 Jun 2020 16:09
Nigel Brown

view images in gallery
view images as slides
DerekStuart wrote: Without making any political comment one way or the other, I notice that Apple is now installing the C19 track and trace without any input to the user.

I don't even like Windows dictating to me when I need to update (which is usually for some nonsensical reason, rather than security.Does this mean that if you've got an iphone you get it anyway, without knowing about it?

Nigel

5th message | this message only posted: 23 Jun 2020 16:09
d827kelly
Coventry, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Apple have controlled the software and hardware for as long as Apple products have existed.

The move to ARM chips was inevitable when the iOS devices started becoming so popular.

To Apple, it makes sense to control the CPU design, something impossible with Intel (only Intel and AMD are allowed to manufacturer x86 compatible chips, and then AMD only due to the original IBM PC design calling for two chip manufacturers for IBM to proceed with the deal, Intel is very hesitant to let others make x86 chips. The only others in the past being Cyrix and later NEC/VIA, which is effectively defunct now).

Intel's continued problems moving beyond 14nm production is another major reason for this move from Apple.

They can design and tailor the Axx chips for each device type as they please now, probably giving more cache and cores to iMacs/MacBooks etc and the MacBook Air if it continues will probably in effect use a faster version of the Axx chip in whatever iPad is current.

They could have gone for AMD x86 chips (they already use AMD for graphics chips), but it probably felt the right time to bring the last remaining piece they didn't control in house.

6th message | this message only posted: 23 Jun 2020 16:13
Dave Summers
Urchfont, Devizes, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Before posting nonsense please take care to THOROUGHLY check facts. You might want to start here. https://fullfact.org/health/covid-19-track-and-trace-app-has-not-been-automatically-downloaded-peoples-phones/
Dave

7th message | this message only posted: 23 Jun 2020 16:32
Nigel Brown

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Dave Summers wrote: Before posting nonsense please take care to THOROUGHLY check facts. You might want to start here. https://fullfact.org/health/covid-19-track-and-trace-app-has-not-been-automatically-downloaded-peoples-phones/
Dave
To be fair, Derek's post didn't mention an app, and it does look like the API is being downloaded. Which might not mean anything yet, but there could be implications.

Nigel

8th message | this message only posted: 23 Jun 2020 16:34
Nigel Brown

view images in gallery
view images as slides
d827kelly wrote: Apple have controlled the software and hardware for as long as Apple products have existed.

The move to ARM chips was inevitable when the iOS devices started becoming so popular.

To Apple, it makes sense to control the CPU design, something impossible with Intel (only Intel and AMD are allowed to manufacturer x86 compatible chips, and then AMD only due to the original IBM PC design calling for two chip manufacturers for IBM to proceed with the deal, Intel is very hesitant to let others make x86 chips. The only others in the past being Cyrix and later NEC/VIA, which is effectively defunct now).

Intel's continued problems moving beyond 14nm production is another major reason for this move from Apple.

They can design and tailor the Axx chips for each device type as they please now, probably giving more cache and cores to iMacs/MacBooks etc and the MacBook Air if it continues will probably in effect use a faster version of the Axx chip in whatever iPad is current.

They could have gone for AMD x86 chips (they already use AMD for graphics chips), but it probably felt the right time to bring the last remaining piece they didn't control in house.Of course there is the possibility that Apple could encounter Intel's problems.

Nigel

9th message | this message only posted: 23 Jun 2020 16:36
d827kelly
Coventry, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
APIs get added to both Android and iOS all the time, their usage however is not often forced upon users by either platform, though exceptions apply.

Google has added support for the track and trace functions to Android, but, the functionality requires the user to install an App that makes use of that API. The same as per Dave Summer's link probably applies with iOS, but I've never had one of those, preferring Android personally.

10th message | this message only posted: 23 Jun 2020 16:43
d827kelly
Coventry, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Nigel Brown wrote: d827kelly wrote:They could have gone for AMD x86 chips (they already use AMD for graphics chips), but it probably felt the right time to bring the last remaining piece they didn't control in house.Of course there is the possibility that Apple could encounter Intel's problems.

Nigel
They could perhaps, but the ARM cpus are designed in a very different way to the Intel x86 way. The Intel method currently uses a big die to pack everything on (conversely, AMD for Ryzen, use what is termed a chiplet approach, with effectively a modular design, which has made moving to 7nm and beyond much easier for them, and hence so much more competitive due to better yields etc on smaller die sizes, resulting in more chips per platter).

Apple already has a lot of experience with designing their ARM cpus since the first A chip was put into an iDevice. They licence the base designs from ARM, and are then free to customise them however they please.

Finding foundry capacity to make the chips is another matter of course, but last I heard, Apple have reserved production slots with TMSC and Samsung for both 7nm and 5nm processes, though for what each will be is another matter entirely.

You cannot really easily compare production of ARM cpus with x86 cpus either, as the latter is much much more complex than the former. ARM cpus of course being of the RISC architecture and x86 being CISC. Virtually every mobile device has some version of an ARM design in it, including the rather popular Nintendo Switch. Intel not being able to get below 14nm easily means a big deal for heat production and battery life, as the smaller the die, the (usually) lower power draw, etc. However we're veering off on a tangent here I think now.

11th message | this message only posted: 24 Jun 2020 07:17
Hayfield
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
DerekStuart wrote: Without making any political comment one way or the other, I notice that Apple is now installing the C19 track and trace without any input to the user.

I don't even like Windows dictating to me when I need to update (which is usually for some nonsensical reason, rather than security.
This is very old news and is the same for both iPhone's and androids, and is not an app. I have a Dell desk top and iPhone & iPad, know nothing about programming but find all 3 products and both companies very good

This is topic ID = 3705     Page created at 04:24 (local time)  
You can type a quick reply to this topic here.

Click in the box to begin.

But to reply to an individual message, or to include images, attachments and formatted text, use the reply buttons on each message above.

To start a new topic in this forum, click the Start new topic button below.
To start a new topic in a different forum, click the Forum Jump drop-down list below.

Start new topic 

click to jump to a different forum:     Back to top of page

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Templot on a Mac - the end of the road?
about Templot Club

list recently active topics Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.

The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason.
Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020