Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 3709Laser cut Templot track formations
author remove search highlighting

posted: 25 Jun 2020 20:45

PHP

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Maybe a little bit controversial but I laser cut Templot plans for people.

I start with the regular DXF export from Templot. I take all the available data but only the sleeper and rail portions are needed for laser cutting.

1509_251502_570000000.png1509_251502_570000000.png

I process the file to simplify the rails as we don't want all the rail made into the base. I also make sure the webs between the sleepers is narrower than the rails to ensure they will be invisible once ballasted. This stage takes between 10mins and an hour or so depending on the size of the formation. I usually have to check the plan hasn't got any overlapping sleepers etc.

1509_251504_110000000.jpg1509_251504_110000000.jpg

I then split the formation up into track panels to fit my wood and ensuring the grain is running vertically with the sleepers as much as possible.

1509_251505_330000000.png1509_251505_330000000.png

A track panel fresh off the laser. 

1509_251509_560000000.jpg1509_251509_560000000.jpg

The formation with panels removed. Ideally laid over the templot print to help with the positioning of the track etc. Expert track builders tell me they can pick it up from here and know how to lay the track without the need of the print out. Each to their own.

1509_251507_180000000.jpg1509_251507_180000000.jpg

I plan to supply chairs with moulded in positioning pins that will fit in to lasercut holes correctly added to the sleepers. This will reduce significantly the need for track gauges.

I hope you like. 

Attachment: attach_3103_3709_Templot_DXF.jpeg     81
Last edited on 25 Jun 2020 20:51 by PHP
posted: 25 Jun 2020 21:22

Tom Allen

United Kingdom

looks really good. So the rail line is a wooden web ?

posted: 25 Jun 2020 21:49

PHP

Tom Allen wrote:
looks really good. So the rail line is a wooden web ?
Yes Tom, the base is cut from ply. This is 3mm ply as it is 7mm scale formation. I would use 1.5mm ply for 4mm scale to closely match proprietary track.

posted: 25 Jun 2020 22:30

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

PHP wrote:
Expert track builders tell me they can pick it up from here and know how to lay the track without the need of the print out.

I'm not at all happy at Templot being used in this way, using a timbering base instead of a proper detailed template.

Please don't use the name Templot in connection with these bases unless you also supply a Templot printed template with them.

Martin.

posted: 25 Jun 2020 23:12

PHP

Martin Wynne wrote:
PHP wrote:
Expert track builders tell me they can pick it up from here and know how to lay the track without the need of the print out.

I'm not at all happy at Templot being used in this way, using a timbering base instead of a proper detailed template.

Please don't use the name Templot in connection with these bases unless you also supply a Templot printed template with them.

Martin.
Martin, 
Sure, I will not supply Templot formations of my own creation without all the files to print the paper copy.
On the dxf export file, is it possible to mark the chair positions? It seems this is part of the 3d setup so is this temporarily switched off?

posted: 25 Jun 2020 23:51

Martin Wynne

PHP wrote:
On the dxf export file, is it possible to mark the chair positions? It seems this is part of the 3d setup so is this temporarily switched off?
Hi Phil,

There isn't really such a thing as "the chair positions". It's a complex subject, and varies with the different prototypes and periods.

I do have an ongoing, but currently stalled, project to show REA bullhead chairing on the 2D templates (and hopefully also GWR):

2_161458_330000001.png2_161458_330000001.png

2_301200_590000000.png2_301200_590000000.png

2_301256_010000000.png2_301256_010000000.png

It's a long way from being ready, and got more complex after I obtained a 3D printer -- I'm hoping to get Templot to export the files needed for direct 3D printing of track.

2_061704_070000000.png2_061704_070000000.png

Unfortunately I don't get much time to work on it, my computer time being mostly taken up in supporting the current Templot functions for users. For example I recently spent several days on a re-write of the make diamond-crossing at intersection function.

So don't hold your breath for chairing in the DXF any time soon. You might like to look at Andy B's work on adding chairing to Templot's DXF files:

topic 2734

(The first few pages are from 2016 and a bit out-of-date)

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 26 Jun 2020 00:04

PHP

Thanks Martin. I can add chair blocks and orient them with a macro in my CAD program. Had the chair positions been already placed, it would have made my processes slightly easier.

The sleeper centre line over length stays the same when I made the changers in the generator as you suggested. The sleepers are now square, but thats not my objective. I was trying to get the sleeper centre line to the length of the sleeper. Is this a possible?
Last edited on 26 Jun 2020 00:05 by PHP
posted: 26 Jun 2020 00:30

Martin Wynne

PHP wrote:
I was trying to get the sleeper centre line to the length of the sleeper. Is this a possible?
Hi Phil,

Sorry no, that's not possible at present. The timber centre-line is a fixed length. You can omit the centre-lines, but not change the length. I could look at making it adjustable in the next program update, but I'm puzzled why you need it to be the exact length of the timber?

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 26 Jun 2020 00:44

PHP

Basically speed. I can save 75% of the sleeper load by dealing with a single line instead of four lines. On the larger formations that’s a good thing when manipulating the data. I don’t need a rectangle sleeper shape to inform the cnc/laser software to cut a rectangle. Just the centre path of the sleeper will do.

posted: 26 Jun 2020 01:11

Martin Wynne

PHP wrote:
Just the centre path of the sleeper will do.
Hi Phil,

Set the timber width to zero in the timbering data. Modify group to match on the whole plan.

You will get 2 effective centre-lines (i.e. both timber edges), but no doubt you can deal with that in your CAD.

Turn off the centre-lines and extension marks in the generator, and rebuild all.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 26 Jun 2020 13:28

Tom Allen

United Kingdom

this is a great idea, i've had people say they prefer the wood finish over plastic.

posted: 26 Jun 2020 22:47

Tom Allen

United Kingdom

what's the maximum size you can cut out.

posted: 26 Jun 2020 23:03

PHP

That’s not really the limiting factor. The biggest issues are material size and availability and practical concerns such as delivery.

I’ll split onto smaller sizes and the panels fit together like jigsaw pieces.

posted: 27 Jun 2020 23:50

Tom Allen

United Kingdom

if i gave you a box file could you give me a quote

posted: 28 Jun 2020 00:16

PHP

Hi Tom, certainly. Email me phil@intentio.co.uk

posted: 28 Jun 2020 15:38

Tom Allen

United Kingdom

get it over to you soon.

Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > Laser cut Templot track formations
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020