topic: 3713Masokits etched chairs for turnouts
author remove search highlighting

posted: 5 Jul 2020 10:08

Julian Roberts

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hello folks
Is there anyone who is using Masokits etched chairs for turnouts and diamonds?  How do you find the system as a way of construction?  I would prefer to go along the route of soldered construction on copperclad sleepers, rather than ply and rivet, or ply/plastic sleepers using glue and plastic chairs, even though I know the plastic chairs give a good quality of realism.

The latest Masokits catalogue (No 19) hosted by the Scalefour Society refers to point kits, but doesn't then list any.  The option seems to be a fret of 2 bolt chairs, and a fret of 3 bolt chairs, for pointwork. I'm now showing my ignorance, that I don't know much about chairs beyond the fact that there are special chairs for certain parts of the turnout.  

The catalogue also lists a fret of tiebars, so if anyone uses these, do you find they work for you?

I had a Search of Templot Club for this subject but there hasn't been much discussion about them.

Thanks if anyone feels moved to reply - even if it's just to say "don't!"

posted: 5 Jul 2020 11:20

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Hi Julian
I'll stick my hand up, and say "do"!  If you go to my Shotley album here on Flickr, a little way in I switched to Masokits chairs.  I have to say I'm hooked.  The trackwork is very robust which is handy during build - you can just pick the lot up and clean it in the sink.  Appearance wise, it doesn't have the finesse of moulded chairs but from a normal viewing distance it looks fine.  You can judge for yourself from the photos.

In MRJ 119, John Hayes described a chair forming jig, which I've made and found to be invaluable.  This is in one of the photos in my album.  In fact that article was the one that inspired me to have a go, so it'll be worth digging out a copy if you can.

Regarding the catalogue, there are no point kits as such, but an etch that provides all sorts of special chairs and some very good instructions.  2-bolt or 3-bolt refers to the prototype - the GWR used 2-bolt chairs whereas lesser railways used 3-bolt :D  I haven't yet made up my mind on tiebars - the trackwork in the photos is waiting for more space to be able to build the layout.

My main concern is one I have with a few one-man bands selling very good product - I get committed to a particular product, then for whatever reason it disappears off the market.  I notice the catalogue is three years old, so your first port of call would be to send an SAE (remember those?) to Michael Clark and check current pricing - it may simply be 2017 pricing still.  When I have placed orders, they've always arrived very quickly - it probably takes me longer to find my cheque book! (Remember those, as well?)  If you do contact him, it'll be handy to post some feedback here regarding pricing.

Meanwhile, have a photo or two to whet your appetite!

Cheers,
Paul
105_020532_490000000.jpg105_020532_490000000.jpg105_050617_540000000.jpg105_050617_540000000.jpg105_260538_390000000.jpg105_260538_390000000.jpg

posted: 5 Jul 2020 11:51

Julian Roberts

That is great Paul, thanks very much for posting. Fabulous trackwork. I am convinced! Thanks for explanation about the types of etch. My plan is Kyle of Lochalsh in the 1950s so I will ask for the 3 bolt type. I'll keep this thread going for any further particular news on this, or post more generally on my Kyle thread.

Yes it's such a shame when wonderful people and products disappear. I have to say I'm unreconstructed and very much in favour of old fashioned cheque books, snail mail, and the like!

Thanks again,
Julian

posted: 5 Jul 2020 19:26

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Hi Julian,
I purchased some standard and 'point' etches a couple of years ago but haven't done anything with them. Please let us know if you get any details of future availability of these products. As Paul says it is difficult to know how many to buy to cover you for future projects without knowing if you can top up your supply later.

Nice work with the track Paul, very neat :)

Rob

posted: 6 Jul 2020 13:38

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Good luck with these, initially I was quite impressed when I started building a kit. In the end it became a chore. I could not see any benefit using this method of build over anything else. 
For a diamond crossing the Exactoscale plastic chair system takes a lot of beating, having all the special chairs for crossing angles of 1-5,6,7 & 8, If used with their own brand plastic timbers they form a strong robust unit. But then I am more used to using this system.

posted: 6 Jul 2020 17:40

Brian Tulley

United Kingdom

Hi Julian/all,
Personally, whilst I'm impressed with the system I do feel it's more suited to smaller layouts - unless you're a bit of a masochist (sorry!). Even a single turnout has (IIRC) well over a hundred solder joints. I had a play with it here:
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28696-copper-clad-turnout-construction/&/topic/28696-copper-clad-turnout-construction/?hl=%2Bmasokits%2B%2Betched
- unfortunately the link in the first post appears to be broken :(

An alternative is to use Veropin terminal pins with copperclad sleepers:
message 18769
In effect this is very similar to ply & rivet, but using copperclad and all soldered construction. It has the advantage of lifting the rail off the sleeper, so not only does it look better, it also enables fitting of plastic chairs (cut in half and glued) for cosmetic effect.
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/6319596/

HTH
Brian

posted: 6 Jul 2020 18:49

Paul Boyd

Hi Brian
I don’t think I’ve ever counted the number of joints, but surely it’s less than soldering to a pin then fitting half chairs?  I actually find it quicker than threading and gluing plastic chairs, but each of us has our own methods and preferences, of course!

The Masokits chairs also lift the rail off the sleeper. I wouldn’t use them if they didn’t.

Cheers,
Paul

posted: 4 Aug 2020 21:25

Julian Roberts

Hi folks

This feedback is a long time overdue, because I've managed to escape the lockdown and get away in my caravan for a few weeks. MC says he sends out goods only when a cheque has cleared, and this whole process took till after I'd gone away. A day trip back home to get a few things meant I could also pick up the waiting package which was postmarked 22 July.

Today being poor weather I made a start and found the system very satisfactory, enjoyable even. Having made a few turnouts without any chairing it feels a great step up, particularly now having slide chairs built in.

Brian thanks for the idea. I've got only 4 turnouts to make, and a slip, and a tandem. I'm happy to do a fully detailed

posted: 4 Aug 2020 21:33

Paul Boyd

Hi Julian
It’s good to have some feedback. Do I take it that the 2017 price list is still current? I might take the opportunity to stock up a bit!

Cheers,
Paul

posted: 4 Aug 2020 21:35

Julian Roberts

(continued) fully detailed approach to the trackwork of this layout that is really fairly small. Mind you, time will tell whether I actually get it done...

posted: 4 Aug 2020 21:40

Julian Roberts

Hi Paul

Yes it seems so. MC sent an invoice which showed a few things discontinued. (Not track stuff.) I'll photo it and put it up here when I can find it - if I can work the system with my mobile phone!

Cheers
Julian

posted: 5 Aug 2020 10:06

Julian Roberts

3591_050504_260000000.jpg3591_050504_260000000.jpg

posted: 5 Aug 2020 10:19

Julian Roberts

I've managed to lop off crucial number. Its Catalogue 19

Sorry it's sideways. Was upright when uploaded!

Cheers
Julian

posted: 5 Aug 2020 11:15

Paul Boyd

Thanks Julian
Catalogue 19 is the one I have, so I think I'll cobble together an order!  I'll double-check prices against your screenshot though, just in case.

Cheers,
Paul

posted: 19 Aug 2020 13:01

Julian Roberts

I've posted on the Scalefour Forum my first practical attempts at the Masokits system. It's been good, though not up to your standards Paul! I think I got better at using less solder as I went. I had only my mobile phone with me and am more used to contributing to that Forum. http://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7028

posted: 19 Aug 2020 13:14

Paul Boyd

Hi Julian
That’s a good write-up!

As far as excess solder goes, get yourself some desolder braid.  That can be used to wick away excess solder, then a scrub with a wide glass fibre brush (10mm in my case) you get those shiny, neat joints.  It is best to minimise the amount of solder in the first place, but you’re getting there.

Cheers,
Paul

Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > Masokits etched chairs for turnouts
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020