Last edited on 9 Jul 2020 02:34 by Rob Manchester
posted: 9 Jul 2020 08:23

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Who needs a Range Rover? :D:D:D

Our first car after WW2 was a 1932 Wolesley Hornet and I can remember having to stop at the top of steep climbs to get the bonnet up and let it cool down. And I do wonder how much running repairs had to be done on springs and tyres. :D:D:D

Jim.
Last edited on 9 Jul 2020 08:23 by Jim Guthrie
posted: 9 Jul 2020 10:40

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Rob Manchester wrote:
Nice video Martin. Oh for the old days.

Did you drive one of these in your old days :D
:D

I remember family holidays always involved the dreaded "Porlock Hill". Although whether it was the going up or the coming down that so bothered my father, I can't remember.

Visiting the area a few years ago I couldn't see what the fuss was about, but presumably the road has been improved a lot in the last 60 years. Or the cars.

Martin.

posted: 9 Jul 2020 16:20

Andrew Barrowman

USA

The old Rest And Be Thankful road is still there.

http://movingimage.nls.uk/film/2120

posted: 9 Jul 2020 17:39

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

I went checking last night and the Devil's Elbow in perth is still there in a fashion. I remember going up this in the early 1950s in the Wolesley Hornet and having to stop at the top and get the bonnet up. The Hornet didn't have a fan and depended on movement to get cool air through the radiator. So crawling up the Devil's Elbow in first gear didn't help matters. :) Looking at the pictures seventy years later I marvel that she got to the top at all. :):)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3427938/The-Devil-s-Elbow-road-revived-tourist-attraction.html

Jim.
Last edited on 9 Jul 2020 17:40 by Jim Guthrie
posted: 10 Jul 2020 01:49

Nigel Brown

Can remember the Devil's Elbow quite well. Drove up it in 1963 with my sister's Ford Anglia (with the cut back rear window). Did it OK.

Had an interesting experience the other side, on the start of the descent from the Cairnwell to Braemar in Easter 1961. I was in the Gloucestershire Mountaineering Club's Bedford minibus, loaned for the trip by the club's president. With 10 people in, as we started down the slope, the president's daughter who was driving said "I've got no brakes". Gulp! Quick thinking, she managed to get it into 1st, and we slowly slide down the road with two passengers hauling on the handbrake, managing to come to a stop at Spittal Bridge 2 miles down the road. Turned out it hadn't been serviced for years and the brake fluid had run dry. Her father was a motor engineer ...
Last edited on 10 Jul 2020 01:54 by Nigel Brown
posted: 11 Jul 2020 05:30

Andrew Barrowman

USA

I had a similar experience many moons ago coming down to Grasse in my '65 VW Variant. Four of us on-board. Front and rear boots stuffed and a roof-rack with all our camping gear. The brakes (all drums) started to overheat and fade. (The brake fluid was likely starting to boil.)  I managed to slow down, pulled into a lay-by and invented some pretext for stopping while the brakes cooled down :D

Templot Club > Forums > Off track > Austin 8 goes hill-climbing in 1939
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020