topic: 3738Bonnybridge Central Based layout
author remove search highlighting

posted: 14 Aug 2020 18:18

ScottW

Perth - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Over this last few weeks I have been working on a plan based on Bonnybridge Central. A few compromises and changes have been required due to my intention to build the layout in my garage. If anyone is interested in having a look I would like to hear their comments.

3181_141308_360000000.png3181_141308_360000000.png

There is still some work to do to finish the plan. The 3-way into the yard needs finishing but I have still to lay out one of the sidings before doing so. Over on the left hand end are three curves, the outer is a siding, the middle curve the mainline and the inner curve is actually a loop. I have had to finish the inner loop inside the F/Y as there wasn't room for the complete length within the scenic boundary. A catchpoint also needs installing in the top end of the loop. Due to the tight curvature of these curves the turnouts have had to be made quite long to ease their minimum radius.

I have planned to install two sector tables in the F/Y as there isn't much length to have a fan of sidings. This doesn't look pretty and has meant installing quite an abnormal crossing which is something I need to try and complete. Due to it's angel it's not possible for Templot to produce the crossing and, I believe, needs to be built-up using several Templates. Any tips will be greatly received.

Thanks,

Scott
Attachment: attach_3131_3738_Bonnyrig_1_14-08-20.box     64

posted: 17 Aug 2020 15:06

allanferguson

Fife - United Kingdom

Scott

That  looks  like  a  very  interesting  project,  which  should  be  good  fun  to  operate  (important  point  in  my  view).

The  two  turntable  fiddle  yards  seem  like  a  brilliant  idea  for  using  the  available  space.  It  did  occur  to  me,  would  it  be  worthwhile  putting  a  link  between  them.  It  wouldn’t  add  much  constructional  complexity,  but  would  significantly  increase  the  operating  potential.

I  wondered  about  moving  the  locoshed  nearer  to  the station.  It  would  give  the  shed  building  a  wee  bit  more  elbow  room,  and  my  recollection  is  that  the  shed  was  in  fact  a  bit  closer  to  the  station.

Presumably  the  short  siding  (for  the  goods  shed)  is  a  work  in  progress.

I  can't  remember  whether  you  were  around  when  we  built  the  Bonnybridge  layout.  It  seems  a  very  long  time  ago.  I  have  a  large file  on  it  which  you're  welcome  to  have  a  look  at  (when  I  can  find it --- I'm  re-organising  the  filing  at  the  moment).  It  has  inter  alia  a  number  of  official  photographs  at  the  opening  of  the  line.
That  original  layout  is  now  in  a  cupboard  in  the  Falkirk  Museum,  and  it  might  be  possible  to  rescue  some  of  the  buildings  from  it.  Heresy!
The  three  way  into  the  yard  is  actually  two  overlapping  turnouts  and  I  remember  I  got  them  in  the  wrong  order  when  I  built  it.

When  building  something  like  your  crossing  between  the  fiddle  yards,  I  would  just  print  the  Templot  plan  with  the  two  pieces  of  plain  track  crossing  each  other.  The  time  to  worry  about  check  rails,  wing  rails  etc  is  when  you're  building  the  track.  Some  people  get  their  knickers  in  a  twist  about  getting  the  Templot  plan  just  right.  It's  only  an  aid  to  tracklaying,  and  there's  no  point  in  spending  time  with  Templot  when  you  could  be  spending  the  time  laying  real  track.  More  heresy!  (don't  tell  Martin  I  said  that!) 

Look  forward  to  meeting  at  the  next  Biscuit  Group.

Allan  F

posted: 19 Aug 2020 07:49

ScottW

Perth - United Kingdom

With the NBR terminating at Bonnybridge Central and the CR using it as a through station to Kilsyth it should make a small branchline a little more interesting to operate.

I'm not sure what extra value a link between the two fiddle yard turntables would bring but I think you are right in saying that one shouldn't be too difficult include. I've currently modified the crossing lines into the fiddle yard and made them into two pieces of plain track.

With regards the loco shed, I did have a similar thought but unfortunately if it moves any closer then it starts to encroach into the transition curve.

Thank you also for the offer to have a look at your file. I may well take you up on this offer if I ever get into the construction phase

All the best,

Scott

posted: 20 Aug 2020 00:28

Tom Allen

United Kingdom

my first thoughts were to get rid of one sector table and use the space for a fiddle yard fed off the other sector table. You could easily have a headshunt for the opposite direction line to back up into the sector table.
Also i echo the last comment if your keeping the two sector tables and crossover, just draw two crossing lines, and add the rest by hand.
Last edited on 20 Aug 2020 16:13 by Tom Allen
posted: 20 Aug 2020 04:05

Andrew Barrowman

USA

ScottW wrote:
Over this last few weeks I have been working on a plan based on Bonnybridge Central. A few compromises and changes have been required due to my intention to build the layout in my garage. If anyone is interested in having a look I would like to hear their comments.

3181_141308_360000000.png3181_141308_360000000.png

There is still some work to do to finish the plan. The 3-way into the yard needs finishing but I have still to lay out one of the sidings before doing so. Over on the left hand end are three curves, the outer is a siding, the middle curve the mainline and the inner curve is actually a loop. I have had to finish the inner loop inside the F/Y as there wasn't room for the complete length within the scenic boundary. A catchpoint also needs installing in the top end of the loop. Due to the tight curvature of these curves the turnouts have had to be made quite long to ease their minimum radius.

I have planned to install two sector tables in the F/Y as there isn't much length to have a fan of sidings. This doesn't look pretty and has meant installing quite an abnormal crossing which is something I need to try and complete. Due to it's angel it's not possible for Templot to produce the crossing and, I believe, needs to be built-up using several Templates. Any tips will be greatly received.

Thanks,

Scott
Hi Scott,

Are you planning to just have one road on the sector tables? It might be possible to have more than that. Possibly five or even more.

Cheers,
Andy

posted: 21 Aug 2020 09:27

ScottW

Perth - United Kingdom

My thought with regards to the two fiddle yards is that the layout would be operated as an end to end, trains depart to somewhere and arrive from somewhere else. Also, by having the two fiddle yards I did think it would cut down on the number of train movements. At the moment I am thinking of having five roads on each sector table, something else I still need to complete.

I have subsequently changed the lines into the two sector tables and drawn them as two crossing lines as sugested. I would agree that it might be easier to add the rest during construction.

Thanks for the comments.

Scott
Last edited on 21 Aug 2020 09:29 by ScottW
posted: 26 Aug 2020 02:37

Tom Allen

United Kingdom

end to end works well that way, it's quite an elegant solution.

Templot Club > Forums > Share and show > Bonnybridge Central Based layout
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020