Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 3747Track plan and using grouping
author remove search highlighting

posted: 24 Aug 2020 11:24

Graham Long

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
HiI am a bit dissappointed. I had finally got my trackplan constructed. I wanted to rotate the whole plan by a few degrees. Rather than rotate each template individually. I thought if I grouped them I could rotate as a group. After groupin the templates I couldn't find a way to rotate them so I wanted to ungroup them. I couldn't find a way nothing seemed to work and I couldn't get back to where I started i.e. where I could add new templates and use all the functions on the main menu. Whenever I right clicked or used touch pad all I go was a medium sized +. Obviously I did something wrong and will need to start again hopefully a bit quicker next time. I must have deleted the track layout as all the other templates that I didn't need anymore where still in the storage box. As I do not want to make the same mistakes again could you explain:
 a) How to move several templates as group
 b) How to I exit the grouping function when I have grouped some templates.

Best wishes

posted: 24 Aug 2020 11:47

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Hi Graham
The short answers are:-

Rotate a group about the notch - Ctrl+F8
Shift a group - Ctrl+F7
Ungroup everything - Ctrl+Y
(Group everything - Ctrl+A)

All of these are in the menus, but I must admit that I prefer keyboard shortcuts so can’t remember where these are in the menu structure.

I’m sure Martin will be along shortly to explain in more detail, particularly with your storage box query.

Cheers,
Paul

posted: 24 Aug 2020 12:56

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Graham Long wrote:
After grouping the templates I couldn't find a way to rotate them so I wanted to ungroup them. I couldn't find a way nothing seemed to work and I couldn't get back to where I started
Hi Graham,

All the group functions are in the group menu:

2_240731_070000000.png2_240731_070000000.png

To rotate a group by a few degrees, you can use either the rotate group mouse action to rotate by eye, or click rotate group by... to enter the angle in degrees.

Rotation takes place around the current position of the notch. So you may want to move that first, either manually by mouse action or by putting it under the peg on one of the templates.

After rotation, it is often necessary to use the shift group functions to get the group exactly where you want it.

When shifting and rotating groups, there are also options to keep any background shapes (such as a map) in sync with them.

ungroup is the 4th item on the menu.

I'm sorry, I can't really follow what happened in your storage box or where your templates went. Templot doesn't delete templates without asking you to confirm it first. It is more likely that you hid them from view (6th item on the menu).

When you get stuck, you can usually get going again by pressing the F12 key or the ESC key.

I think your "medium sized +" was probably the mouse cross-hairs cursor. You get that by pressing CTRL+FULL STOP. It is used for making accurate measurements. Or possibly you had the background shapes dialog window showing, which uses smaller cross-hairs on the trackpad to specify the position for the next shape. You can get rid of those by closing the background shapes dialog.

After using Templot for a while it is a good idea to read through all the menus and see where everything is. After some initial use of the program it is easier to make sense of what it all means. :)

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 24 Aug 2020 13:12

Graham Long

Thanks Martin and Paul

It was late at night and I was in a state of frustration. Should have gone to bed and tried again in the morning!. I think I may have pressed wipe.
I will bare in mind what you have told me so that I won't make these mistakes again,

posted: 24 Aug 2020 13:32

Martin Wynne

Graham Long wrote:
I think I may have pressed wipe.
Hi Graham,

wipe means the templates are now showing in blue as unused in the storage box.

You can get them all back on the trackpad by clicking box > copy all unused to background on the storage box:

2_240830_310000000.png2_240830_310000000.png

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 24 Aug 2020 13:40

Graham Long

Thanks Martin
Tried that. It says that there are no stored unused templates. So I must done something else. Although I know I didn't press delete.

posted: 24 Aug 2020 13:53

Martin Wynne

Graham Long wrote:
Thanks Martin
Tried that. It says that there are no stored unused templates. So I must done something else. Although I know I didn't press delete.
Hi Graham,

Did you perhaps click this, thinking that it meant ungroup?

2_240849_320000000.png2_240849_320000000.png

I will get that changed urgently to make clear that the templates are being permanently deleted.

Hopefully you have saved files previously containing the templates. Templot always suggests a new unique file name when saving.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 24 Aug 2020 21:12

Martin Wynne

I have updated this dialog to make it clear that it means the templates will be deleted, not deselected from a group:

2_241609_210000000.png2_241609_210000000.png

In the next program update soon.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 24 Aug 2020 22:03

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

I think the changes to the dialogue box should go further than you have indicated. What about
'!!!!Warning!!!!' rather than just 'Confirm' ??

Rob

posted: 24 Aug 2020 23:59

roythebus

Aldington Frith, Ashford, Kent - United Kingdom

Is there a Dalek icon? EXTERMINATE, EXTERMINATE!

posted: 25 Aug 2020 06:15

Graham Long

Martin
It is indeed posible that I clicked that box(it was late at night). It is the only reason why the grouped templates have gone.
I won't be making that mistake again especially with the update.

posted: 25 Aug 2020 08:20

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Graham
I might be talking about the wrong thing, but the final option if all others have been tried is to restart Templot and say yes to loading templates from the previous session

Good luck

posted: 25 Aug 2020 10:41

Graham Long

Hi
I have tried this. No luck. The only templates that come back are the ones not used on my final plan, i.e. the grouped ones. I think I can redraw my plan reasonably quickly as the first time through was a learning curve.

posted: 25 Aug 2020 13:37

Martin Wynne

Hi Graham,

Have you tried looking through your saved files? Unless you have been working without ever saving anything, it's very likely that your missing templates are in one or more of them.

Use the file viewer to see what's in each of your files:

2_250829_460000000.png2_250829_460000000.png

Click the show files button on the viewer, and wait a few moments while the list of screenshots is generated. You can then scroll through them:

2_250830_270000000.png2_250830_270000000.png

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 27 Aug 2020 06:01

Graham Long

Hi Martin

Tried your last suggestion. Most of what I had is on the screen that came up when I pressed file viewer then Box files as you suggested the trackpad with most of the track plan that I thought I had lost came up. So thats a result
Graham

posted: 27 Aug 2020 06:29

Martin Wynne

Hi Graham,

Glad you found it. :)

cheers,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > Track plan and using grouping
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020