Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 3749Gauge One garden railway using Cliff Barker track
author remove search highlighting

posted: 26 Aug 2020 17:14

Roger Bristow

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I am a returning Templot user, from 2005!

I started a Gauge One garden railway all those years ago and now want to add a triangle from the double main line down to the steaming bay and turntable area. I remembered Templot and have now downloaded the latest version.

I want to add a double line junction curving away from a curving (transitioned) main line. Forgive me if I haven’t used the correct terms for what I am trying to achieve. If I could get a start on this part I think I could make good progress.

Roger

posted: 27 Aug 2020 06:39

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Roger,

Welcome back to Templot Club. :)

If you are making a double-junction on a transition curve, you will need a transitioned diamond-crossing. There is a video showing how to create one, here:

http://flashbackconnect.com/Movie.aspx?id=ib65pLfUkgNxFBDqAZSNyA2

It is 5 years old, but mostly still the same.

To create a curved double junction, there is a video here:

http://flashbackconnect.com/Movie.aspx?id=z3LZpZ1HyGx4Mzpft5UXUA2

Ask if you need more. There are some recent new functions in Templot which may help.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 29 Aug 2020 15:38

Roger Bristow

Hi Martin
They say a picture is worth a thousand words... so as you can imagine the video has been a great help to me. I have used the one of  the curved double junction, both as a lesson, and as a reintroduction to Templot. Being able to run Templot on my MacBook Air works just fine with Crossover.

Many thanks 

Roger 

Martin Wynne wrote:
Hi Roger,

Welcome back to Templot Club. :)

If you are making a double-junction on a transition curve, you will need a transitioned diamond-crossing. There is a video showing how to create one, here:

http://flashbackconnect.com/Movie.aspx?id=ib65pLfUkgNxFBDqAZSNyA2

It is 5 years old, but mostly still the same.

To create a curved double junction, there is a video here:

http://flashbackconnect.com/Movie.aspx?id=z3LZpZ1HyGx4Mzpft5UXUA2

Ask if you need more. There are some recent new functions in Templot which may help.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 30 Aug 2020 17:36

Martin Wynne

Hi Roger,

Glad you are making progress. :)

See also:

topic 3752

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 21 Nov 2020 13:01

Roger Bristow

Hi Martin,
Having spent sometime getting a little more confident, and thereby enjoyment in using Templot to plan my triangle out with double junctions, I now want  to gain experience with making a turnout. It will be the first ever for me as I've purchased all the others ready made!

I'm starting with a 5 metre radius turnout kit from Cliff Barker. The moulded sleepers have a standard size separator bar that gives a fixed gap (22.5mm) between sleeper centres as there is a clip that fixes into the next sleeper, this is to aid assembly. Whilst I could cut them all off (which I will have to do when I get into the more complex formations) I would like to retain them and change the template to print out with a standard sleeper spacing. I've spent some time creating a custom turnout but still can't find a way to specify a constant sleeper gap over the full length of the turnout. I would appreciate any help you you can offer.

Cheers

Roger 

posted: 21 Nov 2020 17:57

Martin Wynne

Hi Roger,

Please could you attach your BOX file of a template matching the Cliff Barker kit?

I've spent a long time looking at his web site, but unable to find any prototype information at all relating to the switch sizes or crossing angles. There isn't even a downloadable template as far as I can see:

http://www.cliffbarker.me.uk

Getting a constant timber spacing through an entire turnout is going to be tricky, because the prototype doesn't work that way. Here's an overview of the settings:

http://templot.com/companion/timber_spacings_overview.php

For a regular V-crossing you can set the closure fill spacing to an exact figure by careful adjustment of the crossing entry straight (SHIFT+F11 mouse action), which modifies the lead length.

When creating a custom switch, there is an option to let Templot create the timber spacings. Which in practice means the closure infill spacing flows through the switch as far as the switch toe.

If you can post your BOX file, I will make the required settings for you.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 22 Nov 2020 13:42

Roger Bristow

Martin Wynne wrote:
Hi Roger,

Please could you attach your BOX file of a template matching the Cliff Barker kit?

I've spent a long time looking at his web site, but unable to find any prototype information at all relating to the switch sizes or crossing angles. There isn't even a downloadable template as far as I can see:

http://www.cliffbarker.me.uk

Getting a constant timber spacing through an entire turnout is going to be tricky, because the prototype doesn't work that way. Here's an overview of the settings:

http://templot.com/companion/timber_spacings_overview.php

For a regular V-crossing you can set the closure fill spacing to an exact figure by careful adjustment of the crossing entry straight (SHIFT+F11 mouse action), which modifies the lead length.

When creating a custom switch, there is an option to let Templot create the timber spacings. Which in practice means the closure infill spacing flows through the switch as far as the switch toe.

If you can post your BOX file, I will make the required settings for you.

cheers,

Martin.
Hi Martin,
I hope I've managed to send you the BOX file (BH 1C REA semi-curved C+V-7 LH) okay. I couldn't find anything on Cliff's site about switch detail either but have attached what I consider the nearest to what I have already. Cliff only specifies the turnout radius (5000mm in this case) I have been giving thought to cutting off the locating plugs on the sleepers so as to give me some freedom to get the correct prototype timbering.

Thanks in advance!

Roger
Attachment: attach_3178_3749_for_Martin_2020_11_22_1243_22.box     105

posted: 22 Nov 2020 16:43

Martin Wynne

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the file.

A C-7 is a strange size, "all switch and no turnout". :)

That's typically what results when someone tries to design a turnout as a simple radius with no proper switch deflection.

However, it is what it is, and if that is what you have you probably have to stick with it. For a garden railway the waste of space from an unnecessarily long switch probably doesn't matter.

The scale/gauge combinations for Gauge 1 are a minefield, and I simply entered the options in the Templot list as the best agreement I could find.

If your timber spacing is 22.5mm, that suggests a scale of 10mm/ft was intended for 27" timber spacing.

However, I note from the web site that the timber width is 9.5mm, which suggests a scale of 1:32 was intended (9.525mm/ft) for 12" wide timbers. :?

Whatever, I assume your choice of 1C gauge (10mm/ft, 1.75" gauge) matches your requirement, so I have left it unchanged and set the timbers at 27" centres (22.5mm at 10mm/ft).

Box file below, with timbers spaced at 27" (22.5mm) constant all through.

Take care using these templates and don't make any internal adjustments to them, because I fear Templot will instantly switch back to more prototypical spacings if you do.

cheers,

Martin.
Attachment: attach_3179_3749_roger_c7_nominal_timbering.box     16

posted: 22 Nov 2020 20:56

Roger Bristow

Hi Martin,
No idea how you did what you did but it worked a treat, thank you very much.

You're right about Gauge One being a bit of a minefield with 10mm (1:30) and 3/8" (1:32) scale. Cliff's track offers both standard and fine turnout options but as I don't run F/S and most visiting locos are standard scale 1C was the only option. I was having problems too because I've been learning Templot using B-7 settings for  turnouts which seemed more appropriate for my needs. Why is it when we finally get to understand something we wonder what took the time!

Thanks again.

cheers

Roger

posted: 23 Nov 2020 08:10

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Roger

Do you have to use the kits as is or can the components be built to a different configuration

posted: 23 Nov 2020 10:25

Roger Bristow

Hayfield, thanks for your message.
Good question, I could make a different configuration with the kit but as I've never made a turnout before I thought it would be helpful to model it on one I bought ready made. The click together sleepers make for quite a robust assembly given it will be 800mm long.

Regards

Roger

posted: 23 Nov 2020 12:42

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Roger

I went on to the companies website, looks like you can use everything but their common crossing. For 7mm I use this to rough out the shape of the Vee and the rear of the switch blade

http://offers.kd2.org/en/gb/lidl/pbUnj/

Its just the amount of metal that needs filing, but I think its easier to mark out the rail in the larger gauge

posted: 23 Nov 2020 13:02

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
A C-7 is a strange size, "all switch and no turnout". :)
Strange it may be, but it is an REA standard.

Even stranger were the C-6 1/2 turnouts (which aren't) required for a crossover with a single slip in between for my layout. Having designed the track plan over an OS map, I was doubtful of the result. However as I also had an LNER 40 foot plan I scanned this and checked, only to find a perfect match. Hmmmmm. :shock:
Regards
Tony.

posted: 23 Nov 2020 16:15

Roger Bristow

Hayfield,
Thanks, a great idea. It will make a good addition to the workbench.

Roger

posted: 23 Nov 2020 20:05

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Roger Bristow wrote:
Hayfield,
Thanks, a great idea. It will make a good addition to the workbench.

Roger
I got mine from Lidl, though they seem to have increased the price (when they are available) when I google them. Next week Lidl have the bigger one with a horizontal belt as well as a vertical disc
As I said I use these to rough out the angles on 7 mm rail, then use a sharp 10" file I find the smooth works better than a 2nd cut. For switch rails the backs can be roughed out, but the heads on the inside are filed to shape

These machines have many other uses even for DIY etc

Back to the turnouts, I would use Templot plans which copy the prototype rather than a non prototypical turnout based on a radii.

Gauge 1 is a gauge too far for me, but I would love to have a go at one and Southend is not too far away.

Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > Gauge One garden railway using Cliff Barker track
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020