topic: 37623rd-party anti-virus software in Windows10
author remove search highlighting

posted: 11 Sep 2020 14:37

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
As I've mentioned several times, nothing causes more trouble for Templot than folks who will insist on running 3rd-party anti-virus programs instead of leaving it to Windows Defender to look after their system.

A much-respected developer on a help-desk for some serious software has just posted this. I couldn't have put it better:

"I'm afraid the third-party AV may actually be the problem here, rather than the solution. No other class of programs causes more issues in Windows, and no other class of programs interferes more with system performance and integrity. This is also logical: To be able to work, an AV program must literally undermine the entire security of the operating system on all levels, all the way down into the deepest level of the kernel, because attacks can happen anywhere. This means you are allowing programmers without access to the internals of the system to hook, redirect, spindle and mutilate the most fundamental and deepest functions of the entire system. That cannot ever be a good thing."

Martin.

posted: 11 Sep 2020 18:57

Trevor Walling

United Kingdom

Hello Martin,
As Windows is closed source I assume providers of 3rd-pary anti-virus programs must be in the dark to a certain degree. Which begs the question just how good / secure they actually are in reality.
Regards
Trevor:)

posted: 11 Sep 2020 19:00

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

I really can't understand why people with Windows 7 or above are still paying for software that not only is totally unnecessary, but clobbers their machine and may even compromise it.  That software now only serves one purpose - to make money out of the gullible.

posted: 12 Sep 2020 05:29

Andrew Barrowman

USA

I HATE THIRD PARTY AV SOFTWARE. IT EXPLOITS VIRUSES AND IS, BY DEFINITION, A VIRUS ITSELF.

Sorry for shouting.

posted: 12 Sep 2020 19:47

Trevor Walling

United Kingdom

Hello,
I think quite a few retailers/manufacturers bundle extra software just to impress the uninformed buyer and make it seem like they are getting more for their money sadly.

posted: 12 Sep 2020 21:45

Nigel Brown

I must be the exception here :D

I use AVG and have done for a long time, no problems, and it seems to be particularly good at flagging dodgy web sites. Don't think I've had a virus or anything else for over a decade.

One of the reasons I don't move to Windows defender is that the documentation is so appalling I can't find out precisely what I'm getting, and I've tried. Whereas with AVG I do.

This isn't the case of being lumbered by a manufacturer. I build my own PCs and all the software on them is what I've put on them.

Nigel

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > 3rd-party anti-virus software in Windows10
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020