author remove search highlighting

posted: 20 Sep 2020 17:56

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi all

I'm trying to find out more information on the packs of 1000 chairs sold by the 3mm Society under their product code TTP1.  Their website seems to be lacking in info on this particular product!

Are these a new tool chair that replaces the very old sprue of about 40 plain chairs and 5 slide chairs?  I'm hoping it is, and that the plain chairs match those on the point chair sprue sold as TPP1.  I have some of the older chairs, bought a long time ago, and frankly that tool had obviously long worn out!

A picture of the plain chair sprue would be very useful!

Cheers,

Paul
Last edited on 20 Sep 2020 17:57 by Paul Boyd
posted: 20 Sep 2020 20:02

Nigel Brown

Paul Boyd wrote:
Hi all

I'm trying to find out more information on the packs of 1000 chairs sold by the 3mm Society under their product code TTP1.  Their website seems to be lacking in info on this particular product!

Are these a new tool chair that replaces the very old sprue of about 40 plain chairs and 5 slide chairs?  I'm hoping it is, and that the plain chairs match those on the point chair sprue sold as TPP1.  I have some of the older chairs, bought a long time ago, and frankly that tool had obviously long worn out!

A picture of the plain chair sprue would be very useful!

Cheers,

Paul
Hi Paul

Very good question! Didn't even know these sprues existed! On the odd occasion I've needed to use individual chairs on plain track rather than use the plain track bases (e.g. when gauge widening) I've used the point chair sprues, which contain 10 plain chairs per sprue (as well as a slide chair and a check rail chair). Here's a point chair sprue:
528_201500_140000000.jpg528_201500_140000000.jpg
and here's a point being built with them:
528_201501_330000000.jpg528_201501_330000000.jpg

I'd suggest a question to the Society egroup. Edit: or I could ask if you're not a member.

cheers
Nigel
Last edited on 20 Sep 2020 20:04 by Nigel Brown
posted: 20 Sep 2020 20:11

Paul Boyd

Hi Nigel 
Thanks for the info.  There’s an egroup?  I had a good look around their website and couldn’t see a link to any kind of forum.  I’ll have another look later. I am a member so that shouldn’t be a problem once I’ve found the group!

Cheers,
Paul

posted: 20 Sep 2020 21:41

Nigel Brown

Paul Boyd wrote:
Hi Nigel 
Thanks for the info.  There’s an egroup?  I had a good look around their website and couldn’t see a link to any kind of forum.  I’ll have another look later. I am a member so that shouldn’t be a problem once I’ve found the group!

Cheers,
Paul
The web presence is described on:
http://sites.google.com/site/3mmpublic/on-the-web

I don't have a Newsletter to hand at the moment so can't check what info is provided.

I'll ask about the chairs anyway as I'm interested and am sure others don't know about them.

Cheers
Nigel

posted: 20 Sep 2020 22:56

Nigel Brown

An answer. The sprues are the same. Just more of them. So 100 sprues in TTP1, 200 sprues in TTP2.

Nigel

posted: 20 Sep 2020 23:13

Paul Boyd

Nigel Brown wrote:
An answer. The sprues are the same. Just more of them. So 100 sprues in TTP1, 200 sprues in TTP2.
Thanks Nigel, that’s very helpful.  I read the price list as being just plain track chairs, but actually it seems we get 100 slide chairs (and check rail chairs) as well with TTP1. I was going to order that and several TPP1 thinking TTP1 and 2 were just plain track chairs, so you’ve saved me some money!
I just know I’m going to get these TTPs and TPPs mixed up some time! The number of times I had to refer to the price list just typing this post...

Cheers,
Paul

posted: 21 Sep 2020 07:42

Hayfield

United Kingdom

What gauge of rail do they take please and how much do they cost

posted: 21 Sep 2020 09:41

Paul Boyd

Hayfield wrote:
What gauge of rail do they take please and how much do they cost
Hi John
The chairs are to take the 3mm Society code 60 bullhead rail.  They're are sold on a sprue which contains 10 plain chairs, one check rail chair and one slide chair (Nigel posted a photo earlier).  Prices are £6.30 for a pack of 20 sprues (a "point pack", TPP1), £31.50 for a pack of 100 sprues ("plain track pack", TTP1)  and £57.75 for a pack of 200 sprues (TTP2).

The products are only available to members of The 3mm Society though, and I haven't checked postage yet - it was a long time since I last ordered from them.
Edit - regarding postage, the order form says "10p in £, minimum £1, maximum £5".

Cheers,
Paul
Last edited on 21 Sep 2020 10:13 by Paul Boyd
posted: 22 Sep 2020 07:37

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Paul 
Thanks, I am looking for something to build 009 track other than copperclad, my one reservation being would overscale N gauge wheels being incompatible with this track system. 

Again thanks for the info, certainly a possibility and I will see if I can find a member who has surplus unwanted items they would be willing to sell
Last edited on 22 Sep 2020 07:39 by Hayfield
posted: 22 Sep 2020 10:22

Paul Boyd

Hayfield wrote:
Paul 
Thanks, I am looking for something to build 009 track other than copperclad, my one reservation being would overscale N gauge wheels being incompatible with this track system. 

My gut feeling is that the flanges may clout the chairs.  I'm using 2FS wheel standards with their 0.5mm flange depth so I'm hoping I'll be ok!  Certainly the old 3mm Society chairs were ok, so I'm assuming the new ones will be as well.
I'll order the chairs shortly and once they've arrived I'll knock up a short section of 9mm gauge track to run my limited N-gauge stock on and let you know.
Cheers,
Paul

posted: 22 Sep 2020 20:22

Nigel Brown

The 3mm Society chairs are designed to be use with Society fine scale standard wheels, with a flange depth of 0.5 - 0.55 mm.

Nigel

posted: 22 Sep 2020 20:58

Paul Boyd

Hi Nigel
That’s useful to have confirmed, I know the previous generation of plastic chairs work with the 2FS wheels I’m using so I was hoping the new chairs would also work.

Not so good for John though, I’ve just measured various modern N-gauge flange depths and as far as I can tell nothing was less than about 0.6mm - that includes some wheels supplied with plastic 00-9 kits, which were usually deeper still.  An old pannier tank chassis had bigger flanges than 00!

Cheers,
Paul.

posted: 22 Sep 2020 21:55

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Hi John,

4mm narrow gauge stock based around an N gauge chassis and wheels will have big problems I suspect. Wheels can be changed of course or turned down in a lathe but depends how deep you want to get into this. What are you modelling that will be using BH rail ?

Rob

posted: 22 Sep 2020 22:18

Nigel Brown

It's possible, indeed probable that the 3mm Society chairs will work with flange depth greater than 0.55mm. Just wondering if I can accurately measure the clearance.

Also, there are the chairs produced for the FiNetrax N gauge track range, for Code 40 BH rail. I would assume that they would allow a fair range of N gauge models to run! I'm not sure if the clearances are any better than the 3mm Society chairs. Also not sure if they're effectively to the same spec as the 2mm Scale Association chairs.

Nigel

posted: 23 Sep 2020 08:24

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Paul, Rob and Nigel

Thank you for the information, advice and heads up re the fine tracks.

Owing to the wheel flanges of N gauge plus what I think visually looks correct, I was hoping to use something in the order of code 65, one thought is to see if the clips which come with Peco IL-121 concrete sleepers may work

posted: 25 Sep 2020 13:51

Paul Boyd

Nigel Brown wrote:

The web presence is described on:
http://sites.google.com/site/3mmpublic/on-the-web

Oh, the irony!  That link just takes you to a page that says there is an egroup, but not a link to it.  it does say there's a link in the newsletter but the only link I could see was so complex that it took me several attempts to get the long strong of random numbers, upper case and lower case letters correct, not confusing 0 with O, whilst struggling with very mild dyslexia. (QR code, anyone?)  On successfully opening what turned out to be a PDF, I was greeted with "We are aware that some members are having difficulty accessing Society material on the web."
Yes, the first difficulty was even getting to that document!  Why on earth can't the links just be put onto the website?  Surely we'd need some membership details to get to the forums so it's restricted to members only?

Cheers,
Paul
Last edited on 25 Sep 2020 13:52 by Paul Boyd
posted: 25 Sep 2020 15:33

Nigel Brown

Here's the link:
http://groups.io/g/3mm-scale-modelling

Not sure why it's not explicitly mentioned. Maybe it's to reassure members about security. However, only paid-up members are allowed to join anyway.

Incidentally, the egroup is actually owned and run by a member, Jacques Gerber in South Africa, not by the 3mm Society.

posted: 6 Oct 2020 21:29

KeithArmes

Macclesfield - United Kingdom

Nigel Brown wrote:
It's possible, indeed probable that the 3mm Society chairs will work with flange depth greater than 0.55mm. Just wondering if I can accurately measure the clearance.

Also, there are the chairs produced for the FiNetrax N gauge track range, for Code 40 BH rail. I would assume that they would allow a fair range of N gauge models to run! I'm not sure if the clearances are any better than the 3mm Society chairs. Also not sure if they're effectively to the same spec as the 2mm Scale Association chairs.

Nigel
Yes, the FinNtrax chairs are the same as the 2mm ones. They both work with N gauge wheels from the last 10 years.
Keith

Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > 3mm Society chairs
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020