Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 3785a question for you - video styles?
author remove search highlighting

posted: 29 Sep 2020 19:40

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi all,

I would be interested in some feedback on this. Recently I have made two very different styles of Templot screen videos:

1. a silent interactive stop-start video with lots of text-based information:

http://flashbackconnect.com/Movie.aspx?id=pu2F-wveux5-EWGYuqPd3g2

2. a 15-minute rambling clip from my live-screen session on Saturday (you may need to turn the volume up):

http://flashbackconnect.com/Movie.aspx?id=30h3au1S5O6j0LbfPFi7sw2

Which style do you prefer? The next time someone posts a question for which I might make a video clip in reply, which style should it be? And would it be acceptable to reply: "Watch live tomorrow night and I will show you." ?

Thanks for any comments.

Martin.

posted: 29 Sep 2020 20:17

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

I prefer option 1 - the silent interactive one, especially if the information is as important and well presented as the example you selected. There is a lot of important information in that one that goes beyond purely how to drive Templot. I have several A4 folders with clear pages into which you can insert printed pages ( from the companion ) which I find invaluable and serve a similar purpose to the extra information in this type of video. Sometimes I don't actually use Templot for a few months by which time some of the required knowledge is gone from my grey cells.

The live sessions were interesting to see and a worthwhile experiment though. If your presentation skills matched your handsome good looks it may have been a closer call ( sorry - my old mum always taught me to say things as I saw them :?) although it still leaves the question of the important information that is in option 1.

Having said the above it does depend on who is watching and what the particular subject is.

Rob

posted: 29 Sep 2020 20:24

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Hi Martin
I much prefer the first one, where it stops to let me catch up without me having to stab at a pause button, which has usually faded away by the time I need it, and I’ve got the wrong place anyway and have to step back a bit.  I can then choose when to carry on with the next logical step without wondering when the best place to pause it might be.  I’m generally not a video tutorial person, but I do get on well with that style.

Cheers,
Paul

posted: 29 Sep 2020 20:37

Charles Orr

Leicester - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

I think that option 1 is probably the most effective, although there may be times when a live talk through 

could be  more effective in explaining the problem or task.

Charles

posted: 2 Oct 2020 20:13

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Thanks for the comments. :)

A general preference here for the text-based style, which was probably to be expected.

On other forums though, where I asked the same question, there is a clear preference for the spoken commentary.

Someone there has made the good point (which is blindingly obvious in hindsight, but which hadn't dawned on me) that with a spoken commentary I generally explain what I'm about to do and why, before I do it. Whereas with the text style, often something happens out of the blue and is only explained after the event.

It would be quite possible to create a hybrid style, leaving pauses in the commentary for detailed text boxes to be added later, which viewers could either read or skip. My hunch though is that it would fall between two stools, becoming disjointed to watch and pleasing no-one. And those who watched it live are unlikely to want to go back and sit through it all again just to read the texts.

There is no intrinsic reason why it needs to be done live of course. Other than the opportunity for viewers to comment and ask questions at the same time. I could prepare videos with a spoken commentary off-line just as easily as the text-based ones. Unfortunately I know only too well what then happens because I tried it once before -- a counsel of perfection sets in and I find myself re-recording bits of it over and over again for one imagined reason or another, and whole days go by. If it's live it goes out warts an' all, and it's too late to worry about.

One detail you may have noticed is that the screen capture function for live streaming does not record the mouse clicks with a red splash (unlike the FBR screen recordings). You can see the mouse move over something, but the only indication that I clicked it is that something happens as a result. I have now turned on the CTRL key mouse identifier function in Windows, and I will try to remember to dab the key before every click. I have also changed the live player so that the audio can be on by default.

cheers,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > a question for you - video styles?
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020