Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 3789Timbering of turnouts NA style
author remove search highlighting

posted: 2 Oct 2020 16:59

Jerry Goodwin

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Due to all the help you've been giving me, which I appreciate very much, I have my track arranged the way I want it, and the final thing I want to do is to fix my timbering.
I found this thread here: Custom Timbering of Turnouts

Is that still the best process to follow? 

What I am trying to accomplish is north american timbering style, i.e. same size of timbers as sleepers, and consistent spacing throughout, without particular regard for rail lengths. (Using flat bottom rail joined with fish plates that don't interfere with rail tie plates). 

Can I just set the rail length to something huge? I won't be actually modelling the fish plates as I can't see that well. I'm building a mix of hand-laid on templot templates with jig-built turnouts (and commercial flex track) and from three feet away what's visible is the sweep of the rails and regularity of the timber spacing, but not the fine details, so I'm not going to be particularly bothered if my frog points are hanging in mid air, I'll let the position of the points throwbar define the position of all the timbers. 

At this point I only have 3 turnouts to do, so I can just shove them individually rather than trying to follow the process in that thread, but there will be more in the future for other corners of my layout, so it might be nice to have a 'library' turnout set up for the next hand laid section. 

Thanks again for all the help!
Last edited on 2 Oct 2020 17:00 by Jerry Goodwin
posted: 2 Oct 2020 18:27

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi Jerry,

There are some ready-made custom USA-style turnouts to download here:

topic 1335

They have customized USA-style FB switches and timbering, although not based on any specific prototype.

You can curve them and change them to other sizes using the F5 and F6 mouse actions in the usual way, retaining the custom settings.

They are for H0-NMRA, but that topic explains how to convert them to other scales and gauges.

Nothing much has changed in the timber-customizing in recent years, information in older posts and topics still applies. There is an overview of the process here:

http://templot.com/companion/timber_spacings_overview.php

although like so much of the Companion it is waiting for me to write the rest of it. :(

cheers,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > Timbering of turnouts NA style
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020