topic: 3791How to import a track plan
author remove search highlighting

posted: 2 Oct 2020 22:01

roythebus

Aldington Frith, Ashford, Kent - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Sorry to be a pain again, my own memory is fading with age. I'm trying to remember how to import a jpeg track plan into Templot. No doubt there's a helpful video somewhere but I can't remember where that is either! 
Basically I'm trying to import a couple of ancient Frank Dyer plans drawn at about 1" to the foot and do them in Templot. the plans are scaled and saved as jpeg. How do I get them as background shapes to start track planning?

Thanks.

posted: 2 Oct 2020 22:08

roythebus

I've just scanned back through the search facility and found the original post from 2018 where Martin has kindly done one of the plans as a bgs for download. with the latest Mac updates the original wine files were lost. Let's try again!

posted: 2 Oct 2020 22:22

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

roythebus wrote:
I'm trying to remember how to import a jpeg track plan into Templot.
Hi Roy,

You can simply drag and drop your JPG file onto the trackpad, the same way you did with the BGS3 file.

It will create a background picture shape. Zoom out to see it. You will then need to resize it to the correct size for your model scale.

There are some Frank Dyer JPG attachments in this topic:

topic 3167 - message 23244

Is that the one? I can create a BGS3 file for you at the correct size for what, 4mm/ft?

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 2 Oct 2020 22:52

roythebus

Yes that's the one, if you can make it a BGS3 that would be useful. thanks. I did start doing that in Templot but lost it when Mac upgraded to 64 bit.

posted: 3 Oct 2020 02:53

Martin Wynne

Hi Roy,

Here you go. New Annington 24ft x 15ft. I changed it to low-contrast light grey to make it easier to work over:

2_022150_340000000.png2_022150_340000000.png

2_022214_470000000.png2_022214_470000000.png

BGS3 file attached below. Download it as you did the last one. :)

cheers,

Martin.
Attachment: attach_3157_3791_new_annington_24ft_15ft.bgs3     26

posted: 4 Oct 2020 17:32

Igor Kurgan

Netherlands

And this can be done also with the central station of Amsterdam from 1932....????
To give something away: for in n scale it was ~11 meters/12 yards long in scale.
And now to 1:32, is this possible? I really hope on a yes.

Sorry to bark my way in, but i had to ask, sorry
With best regards Igor

posted: 4 Oct 2020 19:52

roythebus

Yes, it can be copied straight across from the Dutch equivalent of the UK OS Maps, the larger the scale the better for getting things right. If you look at my other thread running on here Martin has copied a map from the NLS (National Library of Scotland) to a .bgs file that can then be copied to Templot and set to whatever scale and gauge you want.

I've just been tinkering with the above plan over the last day or so and have got the basics laid out, it's a case of a bit of timber shoving and a few re-alignments. I'll post a box file of it on here later to show you the rough copy.
Most of it has been done using the "make mirror on peg" function, "adjust to length", "curve" and "size" for turnouts.

In my case the original Frank Dyer plan(drawn in about 1978) would not transfer directly to templot as Frank used "train set" geometry for the pointwork and some would end up very short radius points. I think when I built the layout in 1979/1980 I used Kings Cross templates using 2' and 3' points to BRMSB standards. Frank used what is now 00sf for the branch line track and you know what, everything ran on it except Lima pizza cutter wheels!
Attachment: attach_3158_3791_annington.bgs     23
Last edited on 4 Oct 2020 19:54 by roythebus
posted: 4 Oct 2020 19:57

roythebus

Igor, see if you can copy the large scale plan on here as a .bgs, then I'll have a quick go at seeing what I can do with it. Maybe Martin could spare a little bit of his precious time to get your map into a .bgs file?

I like Amsterdam Centraal. :)

posted: 4 Oct 2020 20:06

Martin Wynne

Igor Kurgan wrote:
And this can be done also with the central station of Amsterdam from 1932....????
Hi Igor,

Yes, if you have a map or track plan for that date? It needs to be not more than about 1:3000 scale to be reasonably accurate for railway track, showing the two rails separately. 1:1500 or 1:1250 is good.

See these video clips to watch me overlaying templates on a 1:1250 historic map:

http://flashbackconnect.com/Default.aspx?id=gfzzOIbS7eMGzZPTOLRm1A2

http://flashbackconnect.com/Movie.aspx?id=30h3au1S5O6j0LbfPFi7sw2

http://flashbackconnect.com/Movie.aspx?id=2qpMNs9C5-mctz9b-JbVQg2

I did a quick dabble on Google without finding any suitable large-scale historic maps, so here I have used a modern satellite aerial view of Amsterdam Central Station:

2_041446_110000000.png2_041446_110000000.png

I have overlaid a template on it and changed the colour scheme to make it more obvious.

To get this level of detail on Google Maps it seems to be necessary to use the 3D option, which makes it trickier to do the scaling. Google provide a 5m scalebar on the screenshot, but it doesn't appear to match the zoom level shown in the URLs. So measure the length of the 5m scalebar on the screenshot using the ruler tool. At 1:32 scale it should be 5000/32 = 156.25mm. Then calculate the % change needed to achieve that, and click the modify shape > scale by... button to enter it.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 5 Oct 2020 05:49

Igor Kurgan

Netherlands

WOW...thanks for the quick answers and generous explanations.
I forgot to mention that i must scan it first in a a3 scanner.
It is a piece of paper 3 meters/3.3 yards long.
This includes ash pit, coal storage, loc repair/parking----> the whole lot you would find at a old fashion station.

The possibility is 95% chance that i am the only one with this track plan before they altered the tracks in 1933 after the complete make over in 1931.
When i have it all on digital the original will go to the museum of steam in Utrecht in the Netherlands, they where pretty interested.

Thanks for all the replays, best Igor

posted: 5 Oct 2020 11:09

roythebus

As long as there is a legible scale on there then it should not be too difficult.

I suspect the original will have to be split into separate sections otherwise Templot may overload with the amount of information it will have to store! Will you be putting the complex tramway on it as well?

posted: 5 Oct 2020 11:22

roythebus

Just thought maybe my /bgs wasn't readable, let's try a .box file.
Attachment: attach_3159_3791_annington2.box     54
Last edited on 5 Oct 2020 11:26 by roythebus
posted: 8 Oct 2020 10:22

Igor Kurgan

Netherlands

@roythebus,
Yes incl a bid of trams and the shipping yards.
But that will be a project for over 10 years or something.
A nice project for retirement also when the goats are away
The field i have a eye for is big enough 80 meters by 8 meters.

Time is the constant enemy.
With best regards
It has all ready a running canal, i only have to pump water up.

posted: 8 Oct 2020 10:25

Igor Kurgan

Netherlands

Dont want to hijack the tread by the way, sorry.
When i am able to reach the drawings i will post a separate tread, my room with books is full with insulation, no exes atm

posted: 8 Oct 2020 17:44

roythebus

Not to worry, take your time. sounds like a good project.

posted: 8 Oct 2020 20:06

roythebus

Help again, my mind's gone blank! I now seem to have lost the original imported track plan when I went back into Templot.

Can someone be kind enough to remind me where I am likely to find the background shape to ut behind the track plan. I load the "restore previous work" and the track plan pops up, but not the background shape. I've looked in all the background shape places but it doesn't seem to be there.

My memory for remembering these things really is bad! In the meantime I'll have another look.

posted: 8 Oct 2020 20:32

stuart1600

United Kingdom

roythebus wrote:
Help again, my mind's gone blank! I now seem to have lost the original imported track plan when I went back into Templot.

Can someone be kind enough to remind me where I am likely to find the background shape to ut behind the track plan. I load the "restore previous work" and the track plan pops up, but not the background shape. I've looked in all the background shape places but it doesn't seem to be there.

My memory for remembering these things really is bad! In the meantime I'll have another look.
If you saved the shapes then they should appear at the top of the "Recent" list in the background shapes dialog box.  If they don't, then I suspect you may have not saved them.
No prizes for guessing how I discovered this....

Stuart

posted: 8 Oct 2020 20:40

Martin Wynne

Hi Roy,

As Stuart says, the BGS3 file should be in the recent files list:

2_081538_000000000.png2_081538_000000000.png

1. click shapes on the trackpad menus.

2. click recent on the shapes menus.

If you saved them on a USB stick, remember to plug it in to the same USB socket before clicking the list.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 8 Oct 2020 22:18

roythebus

Thanks everyone, I found the bgs file in the "downloads" on Mac, clicked on that and it appeared by magic. I relly ought to write these things down.

I've just had a couple of hours playing with the Annington track plan. Old Frank Dyer used some pretty tight curves on his plans in places. There's a double slip and double sided tandem in the loco yard which just wont work as they're down to24" radius with less than a 1 in 5 crossing angle. I'll keep tinkering tomorrow when my eyes have had a rest.

One problem with doing track plans on a macbook is the screen is rather small and I have to keep shuffling the page around. I'll have to borrow my partner's dek top mac which has a much larger screen.

Having said about Frank's plans, he used the tight radii on Borchester et al to good use and they worked. His draughtsmanship was usually superb with "straights" marked out to 36foot radius in places and very little straight track at all.

Thanks again for the help.

Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > How to import a track plan
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020