topic: 3817Y-turnouts again
author remove search highlighting

posted: 19 Nov 2020 11:11

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Another request for Y-turnouts, so something must be done. :)

I have several times explained how a symmetrical Y-turnout can be improvised from an irregular half-diamond, and I added an option to modify the switch timbering accordingly.

But it seems to go over heads, so I have decided to add another make function to do it automatically:

2_190555_030000000.png2_190555_030000000.png

I will make a bit of video later to show it working.

It will be in the next program update soon.

But please don't ask me when it will be ready, I have been trying to get 227a finished for months. I have made the same mistake I made once before, and left too long a gap between updates. Which means it now contains far too many changes and new features, all of which need finishing and testing before I can release it.

They will also need several pages of explanation and release notes to be written, which makes my heart sink. Especially as I still haven't done any for the previous few updates.  :(

I will do my best to get it done before the end of the year.

Martin.

posted: 19 Nov 2020 11:34

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Hi Martin
That’ll be a useful feature occasionally, although as you suggest, a true Y is fairly unusual.  As far as explanations are concerned, that screenshot really says everything that needs to be said!

Cheers,
Paul

posted: 19 Nov 2020 11:55

Martin Wynne

Paul Boyd wrote:
As far as explanations are concerned, that screenshot really says everything that needs to be said!
Thanks Paul.

Maybe, but there is quite a lot more which needs explaining. The importance of maintaining the split-deflection pegging when making adjustments; how to choose the most suitable switch size before starting; how to make a crossover from a Y-turnout (as for example in terminal engine release roads); what the hand of a Y-turnout means and the effect on shoved timbers; how to add a platform alongside a Y-turnout... :?

One bug I've noticed and fixed is that movable K-crossings have never had the drive slot (tie-bar mark) showing. How come no-one ever mentioned that?

Martin.

posted: 20 Nov 2020 18:10

Martin Wynne

Here's a short video clip showing the new make Y-turnout function:

http://flashbackconnect.com/Movie.aspx?id=dNJO8HaY3G73Z2URE_7xQw2

Martin.

posted: 20 Nov 2020 18:42

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,
Yet another useful feature in Templot :) It will be used a lot by people working on narrow gauge layouts I suspect. A chap who works for Peco told me a few years back that they sell as many Y-turnouts as left/right handed in the narrow gauge ranges.

Look forward to the next version. Thanks for working so hard on it.

Rob

posted: 20 Nov 2020 19:03

Martin Wynne

Rob Manchester wrote:
Hi Martin,
Yet another useful feature in Templot :) It will be used a lot by people working on narrow gauge layouts I suspect.
Hi Rob,

Maybe, but it's 10 times easier to use an ordinary handed contraflexure turnout as a Y, which has been available since the beginning of time.

There is a new function for that:

2_201356_080000000.png2_201356_080000000.png

which can be applied to any template, and will adjust the curving so that the turnout radius matches the curving radius. Much quicker than doing it manually while watching the info going to and fro.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 20 Nov 2020 19:07

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Martin,

Agreed. Sometimes it is difficult to remember the new functions when they come thick and fast :(

Rob

posted: 20 Nov 2020 19:20

Martin Wynne

Rob Manchester wrote:
Martin,

Agreed. Sometimes it is difficult to remember the new functions when they come thick and fast :(

Especially when I never get round to writing up the docs.  :)

This lot might be thick but they are not fast. Last update was 17th June. :(

There's still a lot to do on the new symbols functions (droppers and gaps) before I can release any of it.

Also I haven't finished the upgrades to the tiled maps. I can see that being a game changer now that we can tile the 25" maps, and works on Linux/Wine too.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 1 Dec 2020 00:56

roythebus

Aldington Frith, Ashford, Kent - United Kingdom

I made a nice sharp radius Y poit for the Alkham Valley layout for the Folkestone MRC.

I simply installed a RH turnout on a LH curve. It worked out at about 36" radius on both roads. Unfortunately I lost the box files for it with computer upgrades!

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Y-turnouts again
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020