Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 3831Insert a straight in curved irregular diamond?
author remove search highlighting

posted: 8 Dec 2020 16:00

Julian Roberts

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi Martin
As you saw on the Scalefour Forum, I'm making a curving irregular single slip for my Kyle project. http://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7028&start=25

You explained that the K crossings on a curving diamond have to be within limits, and at 1:7.5  I'm outside the limit in P4, though in S4 it might be OK. 

As I see it I've got three options :-

1 Ignore your warning and carry on regardless (I'm not getting any derailments on extensive testing of propelled vehicles, nor any other except a bit of hopping where wheels prove to have incorrect BB.  However, it is possible to manually steer a vehicle the "wrong way", including a coach bogie)

2  Convert to switched K crossings - which is not realistic, as the photo shows

3.  Redesign the crossing - the assembly is far from complete.  Yes I've spent several days on it but it's my first obtuse crossing, so worth having another go if it will be better.

Thinking about the third option:  as the whole crossing is about 350mm long, would it be possible to "cludge" (is that a possible word to describe what I mean?!) or somehow fit in a straight area where the K crossing is, for say the length of a wagon each way, and move the other rails to suit, retaining the position of the V crossings?   I could probably do it freehand but possibly not very satisfactorily compared with modifying the drawing on Templot first.  I attach the box file - the single slip is at the beginning in the storage box.  I have had a go but not got anywhere, so how would I do this if it is possible?

And if I'm rethinking it, to go back a stage and do what I should have already done, is it possible to say from a photo what the K crossing angle is?

Cheers
Julian

3591_081037_270000000.png3591_081037_270000000.png3591_081040_030000000.png3591_081040_030000000.png

Attachment: attach_3187_3831_15_October_back_up.mecbox     9
Last edited on 8 Dec 2020 16:09 by Julian Roberts
posted: 8 Dec 2020 18:15

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Julian,

Drawing straight lines on your photo:

2_081258_190000000.jpg2_081258_190000000.jpg

shows that this is a straight regular diamond between the V-crossings. The V-crossings are then curved slightly to match the connecting tracks.

Trying on the old map suggests that it is 1:8 CLM:

2_081302_020000000.png2_081302_020000000.png

(but the photo is obviously much later than the map, so may not be a match).

It is extremely likely that the V-crossings are also 1:8 CLM regular, and they can't physically be much different in the space available anyway.

To curve them to the connecting tracks, insert a zero-length transition in front of each V-crossing. It is probably located at the wing rail front joint.

In theory it doesn't have to be zero-length, but I think it extremely unlikely that the designer would have used a mathematical transition curve in such a position.

But if you have your slip built and working ok, I would be tempted to leave it, at least for now. :)

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 9 Dec 2020 08:31

Julian Roberts

Hi Martin
Many thanks.  After I'd posted I took two photos of the crossing3591_090325_070000000.jpg3591_090325_070000000.jpg as built and see it is almost straight in any case!  But being 7.5 possibly more reliable in P4 than if I'd known it should be 8.  So I think I'll take your advice at the end of your post.

The clarity of the rails in your picture points up what I found to be an issue, that rotating the map on Templot reduces the clarity of the image.  I should have used the map without rotating it, but I wanted to look at the plan as it will be as a layout.  Maybe I could have rotated it while on the NLS site, and made a screenshot then, but I couldn't make that work for some reason, I forget now exactly what I tried to do.

I have wondered what the sign resembling a handwritten 'f' is, on the map.

I've another question on obtuse crossings that I'll post as a separate topic later.3591_090323_490000000.jpg3591_090323_490000000.jpg

posted: 9 Dec 2020 10:40

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Julian Roberts wrote:

I have wondered what the sign resembling a handwritten 'f' is, on the map.
Hi Julian,

The elongated "f" or "S" symbols are called "field ties". They link together areas of the map which are included in a single "field parcel" for which the area is calculated and shown on the map. Each parcel in a parish is given a number -- usually all of a parcel of land would have a single landowner. The area of a parcel is or was used in local taxation, and now in connection with agricultural subsidies.

Ordnance Survey still maintains information about field parcels, but no longer shows it on the maps. See:

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/business-government/tools-support/field-parcel-numbers

The difference in map clarity is the result of browser zooming and resampling -- it doesn't actually add any information to the original scan. In the next program update Templot will have its own tools to load the historic map tiles and improve map clarity, see:

topic 3823

2_271046_040000000.png2_271046_040000000.png

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 9 Dec 2020 18:00

Julian Roberts

Hi Martin - as people have said, you're a mine of information: thank you for putting me in the picture. I didn't think it could be some physical infrastructure thing, now I know. Great news about the map clarity too.

All best
Julian

posted: 24 Dec 2020 14:24

Julian Roberts

Hi Martin
I decided to start again on this curved slip.  It works fine but I don't want the curve to be the limiting factor on future locos.  However I found I just couldn't design a straight one to fit on the layout without rebuilding the adjoining turnout too, and that one is made and works.

You said above, "To curve them to the connecting tracks, insert a zero-length transition in front of each V-crossing. It is probably located at the wing rail front joint."  That is probably why I couldn't design something on Templot, as I haven't needed to learn how to do transitions.

The layout had been fully finished by July with a lot of timber shoving etc done, so I thought I'd see if I could insert a straight diamond in the middle of the existing curved one, with each half to be the length of the maximum fixed wheelbase likely, 21 feet/84mm.  I found it was quite easy to superimpose two straights 168mm long, with a barely noticeable kink in the rails where the joins to the existing slip will be, and with no disturbance to the switch areas.

I then grouped them and moved them away, and "make diamond at intersection".  I propose making this diamond, then lifting it off the template, and fitting it onto the original irregular slip curved template in the same way as I drew it on Templot and completing it from there.

This file shows the slip with the new diamond superimposed on it, so it's a mix up, the other file shows the original slip with the diamond separated off to the bottom left to print.  Ah - I think only one file can load at a time, the next post will have the separated diamond.

I don't know if this would have been possible to do properly on Templot - probably, but involving lots more learning curve.  
Attachment: attach_3194_3831_23_Dec_Original_complete_layout_with_168mm_straight_inserted_in_slip.mecbox     5
Last edited on 24 Dec 2020 14:34 by Julian Roberts
posted: 24 Dec 2020 14:26

Julian Roberts

Oh - and Happy Christmas, thank you for all the help you've given me and everyone, and thanks for the idea regarding vero pins on copperclad
Attachment: attach_3195_3831_23_Dec_Straight_168mm_diamond_for_slip_ready_to_print.box     9

Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > Insert a straight in curved irregular diamond?
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020