author remove search highlighting

posted: 17 Jan 2009 13:18

David Catton

Chesterfield - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi,

I'm a newbee to this list but Martin encouraged me to post this query.

Does anyone know the dimensions of the sleepers used by BR LMR in the 1950s/1060s for the Merseyside area third rail electric stock?  Contemporary (1950s/1060s) photos (a poor quality scan of one taken from a book is attached) confirm that asymmetric sleepers were in use in the period I am interested in but it appears that the dimensions were almost certainly different from the sleepers used by Southern Railway and presumably by BR Southern Region and currently (no pun intended!).Any help with this would be much appreciated - or even a pointer to a relevant source of accurate information so that the Templot scheming of my proposed layout can be completed as accurately as possible.Thanks in anticipation,David Catton
Attachment: attach_459_699_track001.jpg 873

posted: 19 Feb 2009 22:35

David Burton

Crewe - United Kingdom

David

I have asked several friends who work in railway civil engineering for any help that they may be able to give. This is the first response that I have received:

'I do not know the specific answer to the question but the history of the electric network is complex and knowing what part of the system was to be modelled would help them get an answer.  In the period concerned I would not be surprised if the electrification infrastructure was different depending on the origins
  As it was in the period concerned the Network was in two separate parts and had the origins in 3 different electrification schemes.  

Mersey Railway (1903)   This company electrified Liverpool Central to Rock Ferry and Birkenhead Park in 1903 on a 4 rail system.  The Mersey Railway was not grouped and remained independent until nationalisation in 1948.  The electrification was converted to 3rd Rail in 1955.  The original American designed stock was replaced by a further batch of LMS design 503s built in 1956.  The contractor was Westinghouse  

LMS Wirral Electrification (1938)   In 1938 the LMS completed 3rd rail electrification of Birkenhead Park to New Brighton and West Kirby.  The new trains - later Class 503 lasted until replacement by 508s (banished from the Southern) in the mid 1980s.  Electrification was planned by the Wirral Railway to the same standards as the Mersey Railway but they were unable to raise the finance   LMS and Mersey Railway trains interworked on each others system although there was apparently a short gap in the electrification systems at Birkenhead Park  

L&YR Electrification (1904-1911)
  This ran from Liverpool Exchange to Southport (+ on to Crossens) and Ormskirk.  This was 3rd rail but apparently as still happens in some places on Network Rail there were in places a non contact 4th rail for earthing purposes.  Contractor was Dick Kerr.  The original stock was replaced in 1939 (later Class 502 - replaced around 1980 by Class 507).  A feature was that trains of the Liverpool Overhead Railway (Closed 1956) were able to get to Southport and also Aintree (for the Grand National)'

If and when I get any further information I'll pass it on.

posted: 19 Feb 2009 23:19

John Lewis

Croydon - United Kingdom

David Burton wrote:
L&YR Electrification (1904-1911)  This ran from Liverpool Exchange to Southport (+ on to Crossens) and Ormskirk. This was 3rd rail but apparently as still happens in some places on Network Rail there were in places a non contact 4th rail for earthing purposes.

Was not the rolling stock on this line unusually wide? IIRC 10ft or so.

John

posted: 19 Feb 2009 23:24

David Catton

David Burton wrote:
SNIPPED

knowing what part of the system was to be modelled would help them get an answer.

Hello,

I am modelling the area around Bankhall Engine Shed, Kirkdale Carriage Sidings and Kirkdale Station.  The photograph I attached to the original posting was in fact taken from the road bridge (Stanley Road) and is of the tracks leading past the Engine Shed and carriage Sidings from that bridge to Kirkdale Station.

In the meantime, a contact who works at Kineton has measured the surviving Class 502 unit and I now know that the distance from the inside of the adjacent running rail to the centre of the third rail was 16.5", i.e. the BR standard for third rail electrics.  What is (apparently) clear again from the photograph previously shown is that the system used standard 8' 6" sleepers but offset to allow adequate land to mount the 3rd rail.

The missing piece of information that I now seek is what happened at the overlap where the conductor rail swapped from one side to the other for various reasons, e.g. pointwork or to move the conductor rail away from platform faces.  At these points there would be a very short stretch where there was conductor rail (or at least ramps) on both sides.  At these places, where longer sleepers used so conductor rail mounts could be on both sides or were the sleepers just offset alternately.

I realise this is one of those questions (as someone has already said to me), "Will anyone else notice or care?"  Well if we are going to use tools such as Templot in the search for accuracy, the answer must be, "Yes, I do care!"

So, if anyone knows the answer, please let me know as it's holding up Temploting and track building.

Incidentally, if anyone has any photos or drawings of the 70ft diameter Cowans Sheldon turntable installed at Bankhall Shed, I'd love to obtain copies.

Cheers,

David C

posted: 20 Feb 2009 20:28

John Lewis

Croydon - United Kingdom

On three rail track, can you estimate the length of the 8ft 6in sleeper projecting beyonds the rail nearest the conductor rail, then om four rail track, apply that distance to the other end of the sleeper?

So FOR EXAMPLE if an 8ft 6in sleeper with three rails projects 2ft beyond the running rail nearest the conductor rail, then on 4 rail track the sleepers should project this ammount between the running rail and the sleeper end.

Something like 2ft + 4ft 8in + 2ft where the 4ft 8is the distance between the outer faces of the running rails.

John

posted: 26 Feb 2009 18:45

Russ E

The LT/SR/BR standard distance from the inside of the adjacent running rail to the centre of the third rail was 16", not 16.5".

A thought, David - are they 9' timbers?

Last edited on 27 Feb 2009 15:54 by Russ E
posted: 5 Mar 2009 20:09

David Catton

Russ E wrote:
The LT/SR/BR standard distance from the inside of the adjacent running rail to the centre of the third rail was 16", not 16.5".

A thought, David - are they 9' timbers?

Definitely used 8ft 6ins sleepers and the measurement of the real thing shows 16ins.

If I could figure out how to attach the photos with the ruler in place, I would  . . . . .

Cheers,

David C

posted: 5 Mar 2009 20:24

David Catton

Here's the photo I first when I opened this topic sent but with measurements added to show the 8ft 6ins sleeper.

I guess I'll have to send the photos of the show in place on the extant Class 502 one at a time.

DC
Attachment: attach_508_699_Conductor_rails(2).jpg 446

posted: 27 Sep 2018 19:37

David Catton

I wonder if anyone can help with this query?

As already stated when I started this thread, I'm modelling the Liverpool area electrification system in P4 and would like to include accurate bases to the 3rd rail conductor supports.  I've attached a photo showing the base that was fastened to the sleeper to locate the 3rd rail chairs.  Can anyone provide me with the dimensions of the base plate so I can draw up etching master to reproduce these in model form?

Many thanks in anticipation . . .

David C

Attachment: attach_2761_699_Conductor_rail_at_Waterloo.jpg 295
Last edited on 27 Sep 2018 19:39 by David Catton
posted: 27 Sep 2018 23:49

d827kelly

Coventry - United Kingdom

Have you seen the page on the CLAG area groups website? http://www.clag.org.uk/3rd-4th.html#third-rail-ramps

It doesn't specifically mention the Liverpool electrification howevever.

The Andrew Dow book on track may have some relevant information in it, my copy isn't to hand to check atm.

posted: 28 Sep 2018 20:59

David Catton

Yes, I'm familiar with the CLAG website and, as you state, it doesn't cover the Liverpool Area system

If the Dow book does contain any useful information, I'd be delighted to learn more.

TIA,

David C

posted: 28 Sep 2018 22:06

Richard_Jones

Heswall - United Kingdom

Hi,

Although I live on Merseyside, I'm afraid this isn't my area of interest, but have you tried Merseyside Railway History Group?

If there is no contact that can be identified from an internet search I can try asking a few people, if that helps.

best wishes

Richard

posted: 29 Sep 2018 14:09

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

Hi David.
Andrew Dow's book states that the Mersey Railway, when electrified in 1903, had conductor rails 22 inches outside the running rail, and 4 1/2 inches higher, but does not go into any more detail.
Regards
Tony.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Merseyside 3rd Rail Electrics
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020