Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 712Scaleing a drawing to 4mm.
author remove search highlighting

posted: 26 Jan 2009 14:34

Alberta,

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I wonder if anyone could help me out im totally stuck. I have recently been involved in a project & im trying to get the correct scale& size of a particular site. I used the google maps & managed to crudley get a rough dimension of the area to be modelled. I am & always have been terrible with maths it has never been a strong point so i wondered if anyone here could help me out to scale this size.

The key to the google maps was a inch = 200ft

Now my measuring with a tape gave me these measurements

2inch = 400ft

3inch = 600ft

6.5inch = 1300ft

Now how do i scale these down to 4mm to 1ft & what would the above measurements be in ft & inchs once calculated because i,ve been sat here with a pen & paper trying for dear life & tearing my hair out at the same time :(

Thanks Alberta.

posted: 26 Jan 2009 14:58

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Alberta, wrote:
I wonder if anyone could help me out im totally stuck. I have recently been involved in a project & im trying to get the correct scale& size of a particular site. I used the google maps & managed to crudley get a rough dimension of the area to be modelled. I am & always have been terrible with maths it has never been a strong point so i wondered if anyone here could help me out to scale this size.

2inch = 400ft

3inch = 600ft

6.5inch = 1300ft

Now how do i scale these down to 4mm to 1ft & what would the above measurements be in ft & inchs once calculated because i,ve been sat here with a pen & paper trying for dear life & tearing my hair out at the same time :(

Thanks Alberta.

Alberta,

On the map scale,  1 inch = 200 ft,  or 2400 inches

The scale for 4mm scale is 1:76.2 or 1 inch on the model is 76.2 inches in the full size.

Your map scales down to much smaller dimensions than your model and you need to multiply the map dimensions by a factor of 2400/76.2 = 31.496,  or rounded to 31.5.

Or to put it another way - an inch on the map is 31.5" on your layout in 4mm scale,  or the ratio to convert the map to 4mm scale is 31.5.

Jim.

PS.  I hope I've got this correct. :D

posted: 26 Jan 2009 14:59

davelong

Hi Alberta

If you do have Templot, then the Templot metric calculator can do this for you,  no need for the paper and pen.

It can be found under the tools menu, or Ctrl + C will display it too. Type in the amount in feet ie 1300, then you'll need to click calculate which then fills in all the boxes. When this is done click the purple box that says convert to scale size (Templot takes the scale from whatever scale is currently loaded on the main screen) then this is what your looking for.

In this instance in 4mm scale 1300' = 17.024' or 204.724" or 5200.00mm

hth

posted: 26 Jan 2009 15:01

davelong

Jim Guthrie wrote:
Alberta, wrote:

2inch = 400ft

3inch = 600ft

6.5inch = 1300ft

Thanks Alberta.

Alberta,

On the map scale,  1 inch = 200 ft,  or 2400 inches

The scale for 4mm scale is 1:76.2 or 1 inch on the model is 76.2 inches in the full size.

Your map scales down to much smaller dimensions than your model and you need to multiply the map dimensions by a factor of 2400/76.2 = 31.496,  or rounded to 31.5.

Or to put it another way - an inch on the map is 31.5" on your layout in 4mm scale,  or the ratio to convert the map to 4mm scale is 31.5.

Jim.

PS.  I hope I've got this correct. :D

Spot on Jim,

The metric calculator I mentioned worked 200' out at 31.496".

Dave

posted: 26 Jan 2009 15:18

Alberta,

Thanks for the replys yes i have templot i wasnt sure about the calculator doing the maths for me i completly overlooked it thanks for the help.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Scaleing a drawing to 4mm.
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020