author remove search highlighting

posted: 24 Jun 2007 23:23

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi Martin

I have a feeling this has come up before, but would it be possible to have the various toolboxes and info panes movable outside the Templot window?  This would be particularly handy for those of us working on dual-monitor systems where the pad can be kept completely clear of these panes giving an uncluttered view.

Talking of dual monitor support..... :)

Paul

posted: 24 Jun 2007 23:45

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Paul Boyd wrote:
I have a feeling this has come up before, but would it be possible to have the various toolboxes and info panes movable outside the Templot window?  This would be particularly handy for those of us working on dual-monitor systems where the pad can be kept completely clear of these panes giving an uncluttered view.
Hi Paul,

Most of the subsidiary windows can already be moved outside the pad -- the storage box, gauge list, control room, jotter, metric calculator, data-entry, help texts, etc.

The ones which can't are the information panel, shove timber dialog, spacing-ring dialog, zoom controls. There is a reason for that -- for the keyboard shortcuts to work they need to be active while the pad window has focus. That's only possible if they are set as "child" windows of the pad, and that then means that they are constrained within the pad area.
Talking of dual monitor support..... :)
Will be in the next Pug. :) You can then expand the pad across all monitors, so the constraint on the dialog positions won't matter so much.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 25 Jun 2007 00:00

Paul Boyd

The ones which can't are the information panel, shove timber dialog, spacing-ring dialog, zoom controls. There is a reason for that -- for the keyboard shortcuts to work they need to be active while the pad window has focus. That's only possible if they are set as "child" windows of the pad, and that then means that they are constrained within the pad area.
Yup - they're the ones I wanted to move :) I now understand the reason why you can't do that though.
Will be in the next Pug. :) You can then expand the pad across all monitors, so the constraint on the dialog positions won't matter so much.
Excellent!  I've even convinced the boss of the benefits to productivity of dual monitors so have them at work now as well :)

posted: 13 Aug 2007 09:23

Richard Morton

Warminster - Ontario Canada

Paul Boyd wrote:
Yup - they're the ones I wanted to move :) I now understand the reason why you can't do that though.
Excellent!  I've even convinced the boss of the benefits to productivity of dual monitors so have them at work now as well :)
Well we are using Dual monitors at home so I'm pleased to hear of this support. What of Wacom Tablets both my wife and I have the Intious 3 9x12's it would be interesting if one could look at mapping the surface for hot keys.

posted: 19 Aug 2007 19:33

Martin Wynne

Richard Morton wrote:
What of Wacom Tablets both my wife and I have the Intious 3 9x12's it would be interesting if one could look at mapping the surface for hot keys?
Hi Richard,

If you are comfortable using the Wacom tablet Templot works fine using a pen tablet in place of the mouse. Could you explain in more detail what you mean by mapping the surface for hot keys? Paul?

regards,

Martin.

posted: 19 Aug 2007 19:42

Paul Boyd

If you are comfortable using the Wacom tablet Templot works fine using a pen tablet in place of the mouse. Could you explain in more detail what you mean by mapping the surface for hot keys? Paul?

Firstly, I'll confirm that Templot works fine with a tablet - in fact I no longer have a mouse attached to my computer - just the wireless part to stop Windows complaining!

On some tablets you can define specific areas of the pad to act as hot keys, so clicking a certain point on the tablet has the same effect as hitting a hot key.  I don't have this, and can't see how it works without interfering with the cursor movement, but I guess it must work because lots of people have it!  I always understood though that it was the tablet software that handled this rather than the application - you just program specific areas of the tablet to reproduce a specific key combination and the application just sees it as if the user had used the keyboard.  I might be wrong though :)

posted: 19 Aug 2007 22:56

Richard Morton

Paul Boyd wrote:

Firstly, I'll confirm that Templot works fine with a tablet - in fact I no longer have a mouse attached to my computer - just the wireless part to stop Windows complaining!

On some tablets you can define specific areas of the pad to act as hot keys, so clicking a certain point on the tablet has the same effect as hitting a hot key.  I don't have this, and can't see how it works without interfering with the cursor movement, but I guess it must work because lots of people have it!  I always understood though that it was the tablet software that handled this rather than the application - you just program specific areas of the tablet to reproduce a specific key combination and the application just sees it as if the user had used the keyboard.  I might be wrong though :)
Hello Paul and Martin; you are correct Paul as to it being mainly the tablets software that manages the hot spots. But as an "FYI" the best way to do it is to define the areas on a sheet of paper leaving the center free for the screen area and bordering it with boxes for the defineable hot spots. Now generally most tablets will allow you to have these set for several applications and you could even have hot spots set for say #4 switches or #5 etc.. or whatever type of track section you use alot of.

See my wife and I are of other things texture artists, we create textures for games and other 3d applications. So we work alot in CorelDraw and Photoshop almost exclusivly really. And in my opinion anyone working alot in an application like Templot or the others I mentioned including Gimp :) should look at a tablet, boy do they help with the hand and wrist. now there is a learning curve to them seeing you are interfacing with your computer with a pen device now but it's more of a hand/eye thing.

Hope that has helped some, any other info pls just ask.

posted: 19 Aug 2007 23:36

Paul Boyd

Hi Richard

Thanks for the info.  I only have a small tablet (Wacom Volito 2) with an area about 3.5" by 5", and this is driving dual monitors, so I really wouldn't want to lose space for hot-keys!
And in my opinion anyone working a lot in an application like Templot or the others I mentioned including Gimp :) should look at a tablet, boy do they help with the hand and wrist.
That was exactly the reason I changed to a tablet!  I got to the point where using a mouse was really painful after quite a short time, and that problem has pretty much gone away.  If I use the pen continuously during a working day I get a bit of ache, but nothing like the pain I used to get.

They do take a bit of getting used to, but it doesn't take long.  I also have a tablet at work, and a colleague who occasionally uses my PC keeps complaining about it (although there is a mouse attached to that PC!).  I reckon he's a secret tablet devotee and is just using mine to practise on :)

Cheers

posted: 19 Aug 2007 23:59

Richard Morton

Paul Boyd wrote:
Hi Richard

Thanks for the info.  I only have a small tablet (Wacom Volito 2) with an area about 3.5" by 5", and this is driving dual monitors, so I really wouldn't want to lose space for hot-keys!
And in my opinion anyone working a lot in an application like Templot or the others I mentioned including Gimp :) should look at a tablet, boy do they help with the hand and wrist.
That was exactly the reason I changed to a tablet!  I got to the point where using a mouse was really painful after quite a short time, and that problem has pretty much gone away.  If I use the pen continuously during a working day I get a bit of ache, but nothing like the pain I used to get.

They do take a bit of getting used to, but it doesn't take long.  I also have a tablet at work, and a colleague who occasionally uses my PC keeps complaining about it (although there is a mouse attached to that PC!).  I reckon he's a secret tablet devotee and is just using mine to practise on :)

Cheers
You know Paul you could have a look at the Saitek ppl. (saitek.com) I know they produce such things as add on pads, really designed for gamers I know but they are programable. That could be an option, we are using a pair of their Eclipse II keyboards and boy are they nice backlit and fairly quiet as well.

Regards

posted: 20 Aug 2007 00:13

Martin Wynne

Paul Boyd wrote:
They do take a bit of getting used to, but it doesn't take long.
Hi Paul, Richard,

I've tried and tried. But I just can't get on with the damn tablet thing! :( I much prefer the mouse every time. I'm convinced the reason folks get painful wrists is double-clicking. If you change Windows to use only single-clicking you will find your computer so much more comfortable to use. I've been using my computers+mouse for several hours a day for many years, and changed to single-clicking within about 5 minutes of first getting a PC! So far (touch wood) I haven't suffered from any wrist problems.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 20 Aug 2007 01:23

Paul Boyd

Hi Martin
I've tried and tried. But I just can't get on with the damn tablet thing! :( I much prefer the mouse every time. I'm convinced the reason folks get painful wrists is double-clicking! If you change Windows to use only single-clicking you will find your computer so much more comfortable to use.
You're probably right, and why Windows defaults to double-clicking is beyond me.  I set my PC at work to single-click at the same time as I got the tablet, and now every PC at work has been set to single-click by their users!

Being Microsoft though, there has to be some element of inconsistency.  The System Tray can't be set to single-click...

Templot Club > Forums > I wish it would... > Floating toolboxes
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020